2350 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: C3000 enclosure issue

Imad_blg
Occasional Advisor

C3000 enclosure issue

Hello everyone,

I've been encountering a persistent issue with my C3000 bladesystem enclosure over the past month. Inside the enclosure, I have a mix of 6xBL460c G8 and 4x BL460c G10 servers, all running esxi 6.7. Typically, these servers operate smoothly without any alarms on ILO. However, lately, I've been experiencing sporadic shutdowns of some servers within the enclosure. These shutdowns occur unpredictably, with one, two, or even four servers turning off everyday, the servers cannot be powred on until i reinsert the server and they work normal.

Despite thorough checks, including examining logs from both the enclosure and the individual blades, I haven't been able to detect any alarms or abnormalities on IML. Power consumption and the functionality of the power supplies for the chassis appear to be normal. Additionally, I've taken steps to ensure all firmware, including system ROM, iLO, and OA for the C3000 enclosure, are up to date.

At this point, I'm considering that the issue might lie with the chassis itself. While I'm hesitant to restart the chassis without a spare on hand, I'm contemplating purchasing one to proceed with troubleshooting. However, I'm uncertain whether this action will definitively resolve the problem.

Any insights or suggestions on how to approach this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

3 REPLIES 3
simoncorner
Advisor

The only thing I've had like this is some years ago, we lost a power feed to a site and the power didn't switch over properly. We were alerted the system was down and when someone went to site, all of the blades in the chassis had no lights on them, at all, which is impossible, there should always be a power or fault light. The OA, VCFlex, Brocade were all reachable but all of the iLOs were dead.

In the end we were advised to try changing the Power settings in Enclosure Information/Power and Thermal/Power Management. I have mine set to Not Redundant at the moment. No Dynamic Power and no Power Limit

Also worth saying, do you have all 6 PSUs fitted and operational? And, how are they wired. I think you're supposed to h ave 6 x separate 16A supplies.

Imad_blg
Occasional Advisor

@simoncorner Hello SimonCorner,

I appreciate your response. As mentioned earlier, I've thoroughly checked all power supply units (PSUs) through the chassis OA, and they're reporting as functioning normally without any issues.

Additionally, I've attempted to address the problem by adjusting the PSU configuration to maximize power capacity. This involved disabling the redundant PSU option to ensure maximum power availability. Despite this adjustment, the issue persists.

To provide some context, I have a total of six PSUs, each rated at 1200 watts. Even after disabling the redundant PSU configuration, I have confirmed that there is ample power capacity available. However, the problem remains unresolved.

Thank you for your continued support.

sushil_P
Frequent Visitor

Check the power supply firmware.

there was an advisory some time back on this  models..

could be help