New Discussion

Proliant blade solution

SOLVED
Go to solution
jtejada
Advisor

Proliant blade solution

Hi all,

I am searching for a blade solution with NVMe hardware raid support but I see that c7000 chassis only supports up to Gen10 blades. Do we have to move to Synergy 12000 Frame? There is no more evolution for c7000 chassis? 

Regards, 

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Proliant blade solution

Hello,

The Factory Integration Option (FIO)HPE Special Enablement Kits 873373-B21 needs is required to support SFF NVMe SSDs within the system. This option is not compatible with the HPE Smart Array P204 i-b. FIO indicates that this option is only available as a factory installable option.

NVMe support is available on Configure-To-Order (CTO) models only. This option needs to be made part of the by configuring the server and needs to be installed in the factory. It is not an after market option.

For more information you may refer to the HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen10 Blade Server's QuickSpecs.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

jtejada
Advisor

@TVVJ Hi TVVJ,

NVMe support is not the same than NVMe hardware raid support and I am pretty sure that the answer to this question is no, there isn't a blade model for c7000 chassis able to make a hardware raid with NVMe drives, even having the FIO option 873373-B21.

Maybe my question shoud be if Gen10 blades would be the latest ready to c7000 chassis and If we want Gen10 plus or Gen11 technologies we have to go to Synergy 12000 frame system. 

Thank you in advance

MV3
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello 

The SSD NVMe architecture isn't tailored for hardware RAID, hence it lacks support for it. SSD NVMe drives are typically installed on PCIe cards and operate independently of storage controllers, which is why they don't support hardware RAID.
These drives are engineered for exceptionally high performance. Hardware RAID can only be configured when storage devices are directly connected to the storage controller.

Kindly let us know if you have the HPE Special Enablement Kits installed on the Gen10 blade server installed on the C7000. Since you have not shared us the model of the Gen10 blade server, We are unable to narrow down on the controllers installed.

HPE Synergy 12000 Frame will be the best option going forward .You can refer to the below link for a detailed explanation for Synergy 12000 frame.

Link : https://buy.hpe.com/us/en/synergy/synergy-infrastructure/synergy-frames/synergy-frames/hpe-synergy-12000-frame/p/1008615198

Cheers....

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo