2143 Online
108920 Solutions
New Discussion

Query: Peer Motion from 3par to Primera for SQL hosts

zabbix
Occasional Advisor

Peer Motion from 3par to Primera for SQL hosts

Hi All,

We are going to perform the migration from 3PAR to Primera using Peer motion. Most of the environment that we have is on Vmware. Can someone let me know the best way to perform the migration for ESXi hosts? These hosts are in cluster and runing multiple SQL clusters. Also, many ESXi hosts have shared DataStores. Should I go for volume by volume migration or should I migrate complete ESXi hosts/host sets. 

But some cluster hosts are not added in SSMC as host sets. Please let me know which approach should be taken in this case.

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
support_s
System Recommended

System recommended content:

1. Migrating data from HPE 3PAR to HPE Primera using SSMC 3.7

2. HPE SSMC 3.8.x Administrator Guide | Application tagging for HPE 3PAR and HPE Primera volumes

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

zabbix
Occasional Advisor

Re: Query: Peer Motion from 3par to Primera for SQL hosts

Hi, the links does not explain specifically how can we migrate the SQL clusters running on VMware environment. Can anyone help in this?

Satish04
HPE Pro

Re: Peer Motion from 3par to Primera for SQL hosts

Hi zabbix,

Please refer to the below URLs for the migration process from HPE 3PAR to HPE Primera.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00114794en_us&docLocale=en_US

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/search?language=en_US#q=data%20migration%20from%203par%20to%20primera&t=All&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

Hope this helps.!

Regards,
Satish

I work for HPE.
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Accept or Kudo

zabbix
Occasional Advisor

@Satish04 Thanks Satish. But unfortunately the given links does not have any mention of Migration for hosts and clusters running on ESXi hosts/clusters. Can you send the link of a document which can explain this, or may be you can help me with process to do the migration of hosts/clusters rinning on ESXi servers. 

Satish04
HPE Pro

Hi zabbix,

Please try the below procedure. 

Verify that every piece of software and hardware works with HPE Primera.
Make sure you have a backup of all your critical data.
You need to think about how the hosts will affect the availability and performance of each cluster as they are a component of them. Determine the best times to arrange downtime for vital applications, such as SQL clusters.
This method is thorough and gives you precise control over the migration process, which is very helpful when trying to minimize the impact on particular virtual machines or apps.

Volume by Volume Migration::
===========================
1. Determine the volumes connected to other significant workloads and relevant SQL clusters.
2. Establish peer motion between HPE 3PAR and HPE Primera.
3. Start with less important volumes so you can get a feel for the workflow.
HPE Peer Motion can be used to migrate volumes one at a time or in small batches while keeping an eye on the results and performance. Verify on Primera the transferred volumes.
4. In order to reference the new datastores on HPE Primera, update VMware.

Host Set / Cluster Migration::
=================================
1. If hosts are managed as sets in HPE SSMC, this method may be more effective, albeit some hosts would require extra configuration.
2. Assemble your ESXi hosts into host sets in HPE SSMC, if you haven't already.
3. Make sure host sets have HPE Peer Motion configured correctly.
4. Choose to migrate a whole cluster or a subset of hosts. To move all related volumes in one go, use Peer Motion. Verify the migration either at the cluster or host set level.
5. Make sure VMware updates to reference the new HPE Primera datastores.

The host set migration method is a more effective and manageable option.
After migration, make sure the environment is fully validated and that all volumes and datastores are accessible and operating as intended.

Hope this helps.!

Regards,
Satish

I work for HPE.
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Accept or Kudo

zabbix
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Satish for the answer, but I have one query.

It might sound silly, but when you mention to update VMware to detect new volume from Primera, do you mean to rescan the datastores or to perform any specific action?

Satish04
HPE Pro

Hi zabbix,

Yes, you may have to rescan the data store.

Hope this helps.!

Regards,
Satish

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

support_s
System Recommended

Hello,

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query, and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo