108757 Solutions
New Discussion

3PAR 7200 SSD Config

SOLVED
Go to solution
basiLPH
Occasional Contributor

3PAR 7200 SSD Config

We had 1 3PAR 7200 chassis with 0-15 FC and 16 to 19 SSD.  

Guys, when configuring SSD on different cage, is it possible to create only one CPG? like SSD using R5 for cage 0-2 so that I'll be able to save the capacity. 

Added new Info as of June 07

4 SSD each cage 0-2. is this posibble to create 1 CPG for 3 cages so that i can use for tiering? OR individual CPG creation.

11 REPLIES 11
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: 3PAR 7200 SSD Config

Not sure I understand your configuration. Are you looking to add drives to your configuration?

Are you saying you have just four SSD drive? If so, I think the only possible CPG for SSD drive would be -ha mag raid1.

Would you capture the output from the following CLI commands and post them?

• showcage
  • showpd
  • showcpg -sdg

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

you can create a CPG with raid1 and one with raid5 2+1 or 3+1 but only with "-ha magazine" and not "cage"

if you have 4 SSD drives

Regards

basiLPH
Occasional Contributor

sorry guys for the incomplete info :)

right now i have only one eclosure in the Lab. 16 FC/8 SSD. What if I've 3 enclosure info below;

4 SSD each cage 0-2. is this posibble to create 1 CPG for 3 cages so that i can use for tiering? OR individual CPG creation.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

A CPG always includes a specific disk type. Given FC and SSD disks, you have to have at least two CPGs.

With just the base enclosure, you could have four CPGs, all HA Mag:

• FC RAID1
  • FC RAID5 (I think up to 7D+1P)
  • SSD RAID1
  • SSD RAID5 (I think up to 3+1)

If you add two enclosures, you would want SDDs evenly spread across the enclosures (aka cages, shelves, chassis). In addition, if you were to add two enclosures, it would be strongly advisable to add FC drives to them as well.
Then you could upgrade all CPGs to HA Cage. Note that by doing this, all RAIDsets would need to be changed to 2D+1P.

Tiering requires the Adaptive Optimization license.

And given Dynamic Optimization's ability to change the CPG of a volume transparently to the hosts, I'd recommend getting the HP 3PAR 7000 Data Optimization Suite.

----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

basiLPH
Occasional Contributor

Quick Info
- 12 SSDs & 36 FCs for at least 30,000 IOPS requirement 

Is it posible to create the ff CPGs?
- create one CPG for RAID 1 (for all FCs?)
- create one CPG for RAID 5 (for all SSDs?)

--- OR ---

- create individual CPG on each cage?

Question:
- is it recommended to put data on SDD? or just caching only
- what is the recommended RAID config on SSD when not concerning on capacity?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

First of all: You should never  "create individual CPG on each cage". That would make setting HA Cage impossible. I don't know what other make of storage you've used in the past, but the HP 3PAR StoreServ is different. (And better! :) )

The recommended RAID configs are as follows. All are HA Cage.

1. create one CPG for RAID 1 for all FCs:
    createcpg -t r1 -p -devtype FC   FC_r1
  2. create one CPG for RAID 5 for all FCs:
    createcpg -t r5 -p -devtype FC -ssz 3   FC_r5
  3. create one CPG for RAID 5 for all SSDs
    createcpg -t r5 -p -devtype SSD -ssz 3 -sdgs 8G   SSD_r5

While you can create virtual volumes using the SSD_r5 CPG, it is typically better to have AO use it as a tiering level (assuming you have the Adaptive Optimization license). And create your VVs using the FC_r5 CPG:
createaocfg -t0cpg SSD_r5 -t1cpg FC_r5   MyAOcfg

----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Accept or Kudo

hassan-azmi

Hi 

Could somebody to help me, I try to create CPG without success, I have message ' system does not have enough space' via CM or CLI on 3par 7000

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I try to create CPG without success, I have message 'system does not have enough space'

Have you used the -devtype option?  The default is FC.

What is your createcpg command?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Hi hassan-azmi

Your 7000 is too small for the usual default values for creating a CPG. Note if it has been upgraded to 3PAR OS 3.1.2, it would have all appropriate CPGs created (at least for the hardware at the time of the upgrade).

Otherwise: What you can create depends on what hardware you have. I'm guessing a 2-node 7000 (either 7200 or 7400). The next thing to know is how many cages. The disk slots on the front of the enclosure with the controllers is usually cage 0. The CLI and Management Console (MC) software assumes what is called High Availability Cage mode (HA Cage) when creating CPGs. That means you need as many cages as the set size of the CPG. For example, RAID5 (3d+1p) would need four (4) cages each holding the desired type of disk.

Again, I'm guessing you only have one or two cages. In that case you would need to have the CPG created with High Availability Magazine or (HA Mag). With the CLI you would need to add the "-ha mag" option. In the MC, you need to click the Advanced options and change the availability pulldown from cage to magazine.

Note in the case of the 7000s, "magazine" refers to an individual physical disk.

If you are still having problems, use the CLI, capture the output from the commands "showcage", "showpd", "showcpg" and post here.

Don't forget to reply with the "createcpg" command(s) you tried.

Accept or Kudo