108758 Solutions
New Discussion

3PAR 7400 Setup Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
jcsjr
Advisor

3PAR 7400 Setup Issue

I'm trying to setup our new 2-node 3PAR 7400 system and have successfully created and configured the VSP.

But all attempts at configuring the 3PAR have failed.  The VSP wizard cannot find the 3PAR system, which is plugged into our network (both nodes) at the MGMT ports.

To rule out router and firewall problems, I've attached both 3PAR NICs, both ESX host NICs and my laptop to an 5 port Linksys switch.  The wizard still cannot find the 3PAR.

Is there something I must at the 3PAR to enable discovery?

Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 3PAR 7400 Setup Issue

Hi,

I deployed already a lot of these 7000's meanwhile and I never succeeded either to have this working. Even people from HP use the 'other' way... The trick is to connect via serial cable to the 7000 controller and configure it via Putty... But the questions asked (IP address, name, time zone, and so on) are not that hard...

If you are interested I can send you the procedure... One day (when I finished this batch of 18 7000's across Europe) I will put the procedure anyway on my blog also...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
jcsjr
Advisor

Bart,

Please send me the procedure.

Thank you very much for this information.  Been pulling my hair out for several weeks trying to find the "magic".

It's kind of sad to run into this problem up front.  You have to wonder how HP initializes their test systems if they follow the same installation guides we are given.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The HP people I know (I am not from HP) use the good old CLI way of working... For me it always worked until now... I know from some people (very few however) that the wizard was working for them... Most of the time however not...

Let's say that this probably will be fixed in some future version of the software...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jcsjr
Advisor

Please send me the procedure.  We have had no luck connecting with Putty.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Important things to know for that connection:

- use grey adapter with PN 180-0055-01 with the blue ethernet cable, otherwise won't work

- connect it to the Mfg port on top controller

- use 8b-n-no flow control-57600 in Putty...

Should work like that...

Kr,

Bart

jcsjr
Advisor

Do you know the password for user "console"?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

I have send you a private message...

jcsjr
Advisor

Got it.  Thanks for all of your help.

Our 3PAR is breathing now.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Have fun with your 3PAR! It is a great product!