1745886 Members
4771 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Change replication mode from RCIP to RCFC

PrasanthVA
Advisor

Change replication mode from RCIP to RCFC

We have two P10400 storages, configured with Remote copy over RCIP serving rcgroups of around 20 VVs.
We have established new DARK fiber connectivity across sites & configured RCFC ports on both storages.
When I was adding FC links using the IMC, it has created additional target, instead of using existing target.
Can we able to force use existing RC groups replicate over FC?
Also I have noticed, RCFC target only allow periodic replication & not synchronous replication .
I am wondering, what we missing?

6 REPLIES 6
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

For starters, the CLI. There's still quite a bit of Remote Copy management that's not been added to the Management Console. As I recall the targets are either IP or FC. You need new targets to change between them.

There's some functionality added with HP 3PAR OS 3.1.2. Copies can be broken and then reconnected so as not to have to transfer the entire VV from primary to secondary. Check the HP 3PAR Remote Copy User's Guide for your version of the 3PAR OS.

If the 10400s are not both running 3.1.2 MU3, you should look into upgrading first.

Lastly, consider getting assistance from HP.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

----------

If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

PrasanthVA
Advisor

Yes you are correct.

When I used IMC to add RCFC option, it actually create new target  “destination 3parname_1” while the rcip  keep on the target “destination 3parname”

As we have an existing replication & current data is around 5TB ,  it is really tedious to replicate the data again across FC instead of starting from where the RCIP stopped.

I have already contacted HP support, hope they have some work around for this.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Let me summarize what I said before:

• Have both arrays on 3.1.2 with latest Maint Update.
  • Use the CLI - the Management Console GUI won't do it.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

PrasanthVA
Advisor

Both storages are on  3.1.2 latest update.

I have spend almost 5 hours with 3par engineer on remote session .

but no use ...  i am wondering .. how difficult  it is to change replication from RCIP  to RCFC in 3par.

I was expecting   a drop down box  in GUI  with options  to switch from RCIP to RCFC

OR

a command like this  "  setrcopytarget   -mode  FC  <target_name> "  which can switch to FC replication.

rdgs

Prasanth

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>a command like this  "setrcopytarget -mode FC <target_name>"  which can switch to FC replication.

I see a subcommand to change the name but not the mode.

>it is really tedious to replicate the data again across FC instead of starting from where the RCIP stopped.

Tedious how?  To do a bunch of commands?  Or to wait until it copies everything all over?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

A target is either an IP target or an FC target. That is set when the target is created. You need to

1. get the primary and secondary synchronized
  2. stop the remote copy group
  3. remove the group and KEEP THE LOCAL VOLUME'S RESYNC SNAPSHOTS (-keepsnap)
  4. create new FC targets
  5. create an empty group
  6. admit the volume to the group specifying the primary base, the secondary base and the primary snapshot.
  7. start the group

Create a test group with a small volume using the IP target. Then work through these steps using the test group so you understand what's going on.

Accept or Kudo