1752782 Members
6407 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Alpha server unable to boot

SHADRACH AMARH
Advisor

Alpha server unable to boot

we have an two Alpha servers ES40 which is been used for retrieving old information of clients from the catirage with the tape drive in it, for some reasons its unable to come up,when i power it on it starts booting and in some seconds later it goes down with an error on the from panel that reads "CPU 0 Failed". i tried to change the processor on CPU 0 slot with the ones on the other slots and even with the CPU on the other server but still gives me the same error,it does not even boot to the post.from the information i got on the servers,there has been some power issues in the data center that has made them change the power supplies of the servers on several occations.the strange part is that both servers give the same error, and i dont know if its comming from the mother board or the CPU's..i realy need this server to come up so u hlep will be highly appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Re: Alpha server unable to boot

I'll be the first to admit confusion...  Do you have ONE Alpha ES40 or two?  Are they both failing in the same way or just one of them?

Next, can you provide example console output (attach a PC by tt's COM port to the ES40 and capture what prints on the console to a file and attach it here)?  While these type problems aren't usually difficult to solve nothing is clear without details.

If you connect a PC or terminal to the serial console you could check the health of the power supplies and errors by entering <CTRL>{<CTRL>[RMC which should give you the RMC> prompt.  At the RMC>  prompt enter "SHOW STATUS" and that should give you a list of the various items like fans, power supplies, etc.  I think there's also a SHOW ERROR command and, of course "HELP" and QUIT to escape.  A list of your console variables in the console capture might also prove entertaining (SHOW * at the P00> prompt).

In all honesty this is probably the least efficient way to solve your problem.  If the system(s) aren't under maintenance it could take a really long time to figure out what's wrong with them and find the real cause.  If the problem doesn't seem to follow a particular CPU around as you move it that does imply non-CPU issues but it could be power, or motherboard or...whatever.  If you have a service contract on the system(s) then you're really going to get better results interacting with your service provider.  Many of us have fought with problems like this but there are a lot of ways this could go.  Having the console output is crucial.

bob

SHADRACH AMARH
Advisor

hello boss

The two servers are all giving the same problem "CPU 0 Failed" there is a little problem i'm facing, i dont have the console cable to connect my laptop to the com port to go into the RMC and since it boots for just three seconds and goes down, i dont get any output on the monitor when i connect a vga cable to it. Please help me out..thanks

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor