Alpha Servers
1752795 Members
6929 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: what was last official windows nt alpha?

CA1089697
Occasional Advisor

what was last official windows nt alpha?

What was the last alpha (desktop or pc sized tower) to offically be shipped with the windows nt operating system option?
6 REPLIES 6
CA984331
Regular Advisor

Hi,

here you find some information which Alpha systems and which hardware is NT compatible.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/alphant/

greetings,

Michael
If you want your words to count, count your words!
CA1089697
Occasional Advisor

Hmmm. Windows 2000 on an Alpha...interesting. Thanks. This led me to a possible option from Microway.
CA984331
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I am sorry to disappoint you
but w2k was never ported to alpha.

greetings,

Michael
If you want your words to count, count your words!
CA1089697
Occasional Advisor

Actually, Windows 2000 64-bit may have been developed using the alpha platform. I thought I saw an article on a website where some guy actually had Windows 2000 running on his alpha. I assume that development switched to the intel 64 bit platform by now though.
CA1130938
Advisor

NT 4.0 SP6 was the last fully qualified Microsoft OS for Alpha systems.

NT 5 was in the process of being quall'ed, at least on AS8400/8200 or the Compaq equivalents, when the decision was made to drop support for Windows.

NT 5 was eventually incorporated/turned into Windows 2000. It never got to the 64 bit stage before it was dropped by Alpha

Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

If I may add, MSDN-subscribers got Alpha releases of Windows2000 up to Release Candidate 2.

Most of these are check+debug builds which will show an incredible low performance, so even if You find them, You will have to search for the right ones. They came out in late 1999 from what I remember.
(I was an apprentice and at that time had the wonderful task of sorting MSDN CD's *g*)

But of course there never was an official Alpha version one could buy from Microsoft or anywhere else.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.