4249 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding driver to a HP 4250 Print Server Appliance

Mark Seabourne
Advisor

Adding driver to a HP 4250 Print Server Appliance

Hi,

I am trying to add some drivers (HP 2200 and 2300) to a newly purchased HP 4250 Print Server Appliance but keep getting the following error message.

Application Error
This application experienced an error. Try running it again. If the problem persists, consult the help file or the on-line documentation.

I've tried the help file and on-line docs to no avail and have seen similar posts to this in the past with no obvious resolution.

I am logged into a Windows XP box with an account whose username and password match that of a named admin on the PSA box.

We are not running a windows domain.

Thanks for any help,

Mark
4 REPLIES 4
Manfred Weber
Regular Advisor

Re: Adding driver to a HP 4250 Print Server Appliance

Hi Mark,
is it the first printer you try to install? And are you able to do other administrative jobs like backup/restore. If not you should try to use another account on your windows machine, so you will be asked for your credentials if you connect with the internet explorer.
If you are an administrator, than you should be able to install a printer driver. So try first a printer like a laserjet 4600N. The appropriate driver you will find on the hp web site. Extract the driver to a temp directory and start installing using add driver on the PSA. Then you will be asked for the directory and so on.
Are your printers laserjets or inkjets. If they are inkjets, then you have to look, if the driver is supported by the PSA. Some are not!
Regards
Manfred
Mark Seabourne
Advisor

Hi,

I've tried adding a HP LaserJet 2200 driver (for the DN model) and get the aforementioned error message.

I am able to run the backup and upgrade options, so It can't be an issue with the permissions on the PSA.

Thanks for your help,

Mark
Manfred Weber
Regular Advisor

Hi Mark,

installation of printer drivers is done by a Java applet. Do you have installed Java (look at http://www.java.com )? I have installed version 1.5.0 at that's ok.

Regards
Manfred
Mark Seabourne
Advisor

Thanks for the response.

I placed a support call to HP and have a solution.

It appears that if you have any other entries above LANMan Print Services in

Control Panel -> Network Connections -> -> Advanced -> Advanced Settings -> Provider Order -> Print Provider

then uploading drivers will not work. (I had a NFS entry there).

Moving LANMan Print Services to the top of the list fixed the problem.

This info should have been in the product documentation, or at least on the pruduct support page.

Now just need to get server/client migration sorted and the device will be usable!!