1752679 Members
5585 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HELP - DNS SA1100 - How Do You Do it??

BR698557
Occasional Contributor

HELP - DNS SA1100 - How Do You Do it??

My registrar requires 2 names for DNS pointing. How do I make the SA1100 a DNS???
2 REPLIES 2
Chuck Boyce

Re: HELP - DNS SA1100 - How Do You Do it??

If you are using only 1 SA1100, I would assign each of the NICs a separate public IP address. Then you will need to register your DNS with your domain name registrar with the server name and the ip addresses.

e.g.

ns.anydomain.com 63.65.255.254
ns2.anydomain.com 63.65.255.250

Once that change propagates through the internet, you can be the authoritative DNS for your domain (anydomain.com) by updating your registrar with your 2 domain name servers.

I suggest letting the SA1100 setup the domain name records automatically when you create the domains on the box. Much easier, and you are less likely to miss something.

Chuck Boyce
Appletree Technology Group
Wilmington, DE
CA818336
Frequent Advisor

Re: HELP - DNS SA1100 - How Do You Do it??

I would suggest that you not use your SA1100 as a DNS server. My unit crashes every now and then due to power problems. It sends out a couple of warnings and then shuts down.
The previous reply suggests you get two different ips and apply one to each nic. This means that you need two network connects if it wasn't clear. Running both dns servers on the same machine is not a real good idea.
My suggestion is that if your registrar does not offer the service for free, that you use mydomain.com's free dns service. I use their mydomain plus service for a number of my sites. Has worked like a charm so far.