1753884 Members
7750 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help need in cloning Hard disk

Sean_71
Occasional Advisor

Help need in cloning Hard disk

Ok i have just purchased a new 36g scsi and i am looking to copy my sa1120 9gig disk to the 36g disk. Can anyone offer some advise on th best way to approach this.

I was going to install the disk make my partitions and them make new ext2fs then do some like this .

cd
tar cf - . | ( cd ; tar xf - )
any thought of this and would it would it work?.

when i attemped to make the partitions i make it the same and the original disk. Is there a command such as solaris prtvtoc and fmthard where i can get the partition table and copy onto the new disk

Maybe someone could add anything to this...

Any help much apreciated

Sean
who dares wins
2 REPLIES 2
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: Help need in cloning Hard disk

Hi Sean,

take a look at next doc,

http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000065679939

Hope it helps,

Robert-Jan.
Sean_71
Occasional Advisor

Re: Help need in cloning Hard disk

Yeah thanks for the link, but i'm not sure its relvant. Reason for making a image is so that i can upgrades my packages and have a virgin image to full back in case of any problems.

If i do a mirror i'm not sure you can mirror the disks then take the other disk out and use it on its own.

I have mananged to make new partitions and format the disk and tar the contents over to the new disk.

Does the mbr.image get dd if=/emergency/sysimages/mbr.img of=/sda1 or /boot count=1 bs=512

Im not sure where to the dd of= goes to is it in the FAT16 partition sda1 or in the /boot sda4

Can anyone answer this.

Many Thanks for feedback.
who dares wins