Software - General
1748108 Members
4893 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hyper Converged USB Recovery - Error "User-supplied %post script failed. (Error code 256)&a

SOLVED
Go to solution
Azodic
Occasional Visitor

Hyper Converged USB Recovery - Error "User-supplied %post script failed. (Error code 256)"

Hello, 

i dont know if I am here at the right location inside the forum.

I'm trying to to a USB Recovery from our HPCS-242, for the whole System (4-Nodes). Last time the USB-Recovery worked very well. Now I'm using the Instant On version 1.3.5.

I set up the bootable usb stick like in the user guide, and the vsphere installation starts. I get the normal error because the not linkes 1GbE Ports. 

But at the end of the installation i get the message: "User-supplied %post script failed. (Error code 256)" and that the installation failed.

After that the .sh scripts are not in the recovery folder on node 1  on the datastore, so i cant install the management vm.

Did someone run in to the same error, and can help me?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Azodic
Occasional Visitor

Re: Hyper Converged USB Recovery - Error "User-supplied %post script failed. (Error code 256)&q

It seems that the installation script ist not able to copy the needet files to the Datastore1 on the harddrives..

the destination paths are: /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/usb-install

the destination paths are: /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/recovery

vSymbiosis

Re: Hyper Converged USB Recovery - Error "User-supplied %post script failed. (Error code 256)&a

I am having same issue (same error on  screenshots) on my HC250 did you find the solution or waiting HPE to repair scripts? Could'nt figure why they are not testing scripts before publishing them.

Azodic
Occasional Visitor
Solution

i found the solution for my problem. 

The fix is: Creating the bootstick on windows 8, then everything worked fine. I think there is a problem how windows 10 names a formated stick.

vSymbiosis

Thanks for quick reply! I will try it out tomorrow and post results.

Indeed I am using Win 10 Anniversary Update to create the boot stick now.

vSymbiosis

I can confirm that when the recovery USB boot stick is prepared on Windows 7 deployment works successfully. I am not really sure what is the actual difference on Win7/8 and Win10 when going through exact same preparation process - a) diskpart b) unetbootin c)  copy of recovery tools. I used 4GB USB stick.

Thanks again, Azodic, for helpful hint! :)