1752562 Members
4046 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LCD Panel Empty!

CA803470
Occasional Advisor

LCD Panel Empty!

My SA1100 seems to hang after booting up.

Here's the scenario. After messing around with the server for about an hour a mistake was made configuring DNS service (via web admin) and it was decided to restore factory defaults. This was done through the LCD panel. The panel readout said "restoring factory defaults. please wait..." This screen did not go away. Two hours later, I decided to reboot the machine.

Now it seems to boot up. I get hour glass icon, and then the 0109 keyboard error code. But after that, the screen just goes blank. The power light is solid green, the NIC1 light is solid orange,, and the 100MPS light is solid green. The HD light blinks with activity every so often, but I can connect via the web admin.

Any ideas on what is going on? Can HP send me a replacement HD imaged with factory defaults? I really appreciate any help!

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
CA792942
Occasional Advisor

I would be willing to bet that you have a corrupted drive. I had the same thing happen to mine. Someone decided to see what would happen if they flipped circut breakers off and on. The drive corrupted and and I get the exact same situation. I rebooted it with a laptop connected to com 1 and watched it come up. The linux version of diskcheck says it cannot fix the drive problem and to run it manually. Here's where I ran into problems, I am a "Linux Moron". I attempted to run the drive checker as per instructions but the system keeps telling me it can not find the program. Perhaps someone here can take us through the steps together of how to run it and fix the drive corruption.

Scott Sanford

I'm having the same problem. Power failure alerted us that one of our techs plugged the SA100 into a non battery-backed-up outlet. Now I get 0109. Can't ping and when I telnet through com1, i get a lowercase n on the screen. Nothing more. I was expecting LILO: so that I could type Emergency, however the appliance isn't getting far enough. I'm guessing a corrupt drive.

I guess I could take the drive out of our other sa1100 and ghost it over, then do a factory restore, anybody got any ideas? Maybe it would be a good time to make this puppy a NAS-type of box. I'd love to turn on NFS so that I could use it as a backup location. Any hints or tips on this would be most apprecited.
-Scott
CA799317
Advisor

If you can connect a PC to COM1 and boot the server. You can see how far the boot session will go. If you see the LILO prompt, type "single". This will boot up in single user mode. Once it boots, if it will it'll request a Root PASSWORD or CNTRL-D to either login or reboot. Use "CNTRL-C" instead, this will drop you into a BASH or LINUX prompt.

During this process you should have noticed which mounted device has errors. Use "fsck /dev/hda?" to let fsck check out and repair the device. You'll be prompted to repair parts (slices) of the disk as they are checked, usually respond with "y" when you are prompted. Once this is completed you should be able to reboot the server normally.

Good luck!
All views are mine, not my employers. Unless they were given to me by my employer.
Scott Sanford

I had connected via the COM1 port but didn't get any output so I opened the chassis and installed a basic VGA adapter, on boot, all the system would give was LI so it never really got to LILO.

(And I thought Linux was so stable, first time it's improperly powered off and it really flakes out! )

I just took the drive out of the other SA1100 we have and ghosted it over to the bad drive. It actually boots fine now, and I have a ghost image in case it happens again.

Thanks,
Scott
Stephen W. Evans_1

Uh guys, when you do a restore to factory you have to let the machine have the time it needs to do a complete low level format of the drive and reinstall the bootstrap. Low level formats of multi-Gigabyte HD's takes some time. This is also to insure your security should you sell the unit since once this is done data that was on the drive is onrecoverable short of an NSA magnetic restructuring lab.