1745826 Members
4081 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PSA 4250 Cannot add any drivers

DB1066
Occasional Contributor

PSA 4250 Cannot add any drivers

Just got a brand new PSA 4250, is I try to add any drivers I get the following error.

The log shows;

May 16 05:39:58 ERR ADM 502 Printer driver installation failed.
Print driver name: HP LaserJet 9050 PCL5e.
Print driver operating system: Windows 2000 / XP.
Failure reason: driver failure.
Administrator name: xxxx\xxxx.

5 REPLIES 5
Manfred Weber
Regular Advisor

Re: PSA 4250 Cannot add any drivers

Hi Duncan,
most of the possible reasons are explaind in the help file (click on the error number in the event log or press help):
Printer driver installation failed (502)
Level: Error
Category: Administrative

Is the PSA member of a windows domain? Than you should give administrative rights to your domain account. Administrative rights you can test by executing a reset or a backup via the web interface.
If it's a driver problem, it should exist only for a few printers, not for all.
Communication error means, if web access is ok, you may have problems with somewhat like a firewall (desktop firewall, router etc.).
Another possible reason I heard about is an incompatible Java version. If you have original Java installed, than try to install printer drivers from another workstation.
Reagrds
Manfred
DB1066
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Manfred

It's not on the domain, I cant put it on, when I try it says it can't contact the DC although it sees the DNS and WINS servers OK. I think it's some sort of network error as when I attach with a crossover cable I can add the drivers without a problem. The box is in the same subnet and vlan as our DC. Not sure where to go from here.

Is there a newer firware version than 2.5.143
Manfred Weber
Regular Advisor

Hi Duncan,

2.5.143 is the newest firmware.

If the network is OK (you say with a cross cable to your workstation installing drivers will work) the PSA should run well, connected to the network using the network cable of your workstation. Than you may ping the PSA from the DC. On the other side you may configure manually a domain controller on the PSA, instead of automatic search for it.
Regards
Manfred
DB1066
Occasional Contributor

I can ping the device from our DC or any workstation.

Is there any way to get to the command line on the box.

Also our FQDN is london.campus.london.edu, is this too long for the box to handle, (I just put "london" in the domain name the dns server resolves the full name.

As for the drivers I've tried a number of machines all get the same "application error" problem

Manfred Weber
Regular Advisor

It's not possible for "normal" users to start a shell (command line) on the PSA. You'll need a dongle for the serial interface, this dongle is only for hp developers. I tried to get one - but the response was unsatisfactory.

My domain name is shorter than yours, but I don't think, that's a problem. The box is based on linux and should handle longer domain names.

If the PSA is a new one, I think it's a good idea to consult your dealer with a complete description of what you have done already (including this forum threat). He should open a support case or give a better instruction how to handle this problem.

Regards
Manfred