1745897 Members
3849 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PSA4200 and SMB auth problems

Anthony Magner
Occasional Contributor

PSA4200 and SMB auth problems

We have several PSA4200's with FW 2.3.74 setup on our network. All has been fine with the occasional small connection issues. Anyway, our network operations group recently moved the connections for our print servers to a new Cisco 6500 series switch, configured with VLANs. After the move, I noticed I could no longer setup printers that pointed to a few of the print servers. It's a really weird problem; let me try to explain further by example.

I have a PC that is separeated from the PSA by a router and a few switches. From that PC I cannot add a new local port that points to a printer on the print server (i.e. \\PSANAME\PRINTERNAME). I get an "Access is denied" error box. If I also try a 'net view \\PSANAME' command from the same PC I get a "System error 5 has occurred" message. I can both ping and http to said PSA. I cannot double-click PSA in network neighborhood; prompts for username and password. I setup PSA admin equal to user account I used to logon to the PC; no help.

Seems to me to be a VLAN misconfig of some kind but network ops group is unwilling to accept any problem. They say I need to build a better case than just pointing to the new switch. IT just strikes me funny that this problem coincides with their moving the PSAs to a new switch.

I know this is vague, but I'd appreciate any help or pointers given in response.

Thanks,
Tony Magner
3 REPLIES 3
CA949828

Tony,

I have a few questions that may help lead to an answer.

First: is the PSA joined into the domain? It seems that if this is not done then it is harder to actualy get it to communicate with other devices.

Second: were there any other changes made to the network setup that were not adjusted in the PSA? Ie. SNM, GW, DC, or WINS. I would check these against a computer that is running on the same network.

We saw some of the same issues here when the network guys had changed the connections from autodetect to 100Mb for the switch speed settings.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Anthony Magner
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply James. We had recently moved the print servers to a new switch and never thought about the speed/duplex being a problem until the other day when I brought up the diagnostic page on one of the print servers. Lots of frame errors and collisions. I checked the others and they had a similar tale to tell. Anyway, before I discovered that issue, I had moved the PSAs into their own workgroup (never been part of a domain as we run a mixed NW/NT shop and not all users are domain members). The problem seemed to had gone away for a few days. I think now with the errors I was seeing that the switch port settings had more to do with this problem than anything else.

Thanks again.
Tony
BR760427

Tony,

Sounds very similar to our problems, we recently upgraded our Cisco 4000 Chassis and ever since we have experienced exactly the same issues that you are experiencing. We had also moved the switch that we had previously connected the PSA into, we have now moved this back. We are also experiencing the problem that our PSA is constantly dropping off from our Domain and is having to be added back in. We have contacted our network support provider who carried out the upgrade. I will get back to you if we have any update on this issue.

Regards.