Application Performance Management Knowledge Base
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How long does the upgrade process take from BAC to BSM?

by on ‎11-30-2012 10:34 AM

I am curious to what other people experiences have been on how long it took them to go through all of the steps in the BSM Upgrade Wizard?   It is taking a very long time to for us to go past the "Configuration Upgrade" step of the process.

Asking this question you will get a different reply from each person asked. After going through the upgrad process from bac to bsm a bunch of times now in different customer environments i can say that it has been different every time. Best case with a rather small deployment was approximately 48 hours with some minor fixing in the DB. Worst case was about 6 weeks with a ongoing support case and complex database problems. on a very high level i would recommend these things:

- run the pre upgrad tool and fix the issues. and i mean really fix them

- go thourgh the upgrade process on your test/integration environment. the test environment should be as similar as possible.

- DO NOT change anything on the DB side while working on the upgrade. means do not upgrade or patch the DB at the same time.

- make sure to have vaild backups for the DB and for the server (VMs).

Also i would recommend to read the documentation for the upgrade. Solid planning and documentation can be a big help here.

on ‎02-03-2014 04:46 AM

Even I am planning to upgrade from BAC 7.5 to BSM 9.22 .

Do we have any step -by step guide or process which we can follow...

Kindly share any document pertaining to the same..

aruntuneson on ‎12-14-2014 11:05 PM

Hello Kevin,

Well its hard to specify how much time it will take and more over i think it depends on the current version of BAC and then which version you want to upgrade to , if you can provide the current BAC version.. we might be able to say.. but it wont be accurate :) 

@DhanP - We can use the below cases for that.

Case 1: Upgrade  7.5 --> 7.55 -->  8.0 --> 8.01 -->  8.04 --> 8.07  -->9.1 --> 9.2

Case 2 : Create BSM 9.2 and migrate whole monitoing

i just saw this information on one of the blogs . But there is an important question popping up here , If you need historic data from your current env. then you dont have much choice  you have to upgrade , else you can go ahead with latest version of BSM :)