Archival Products
1748041 Members
4807 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SSL2020 and Backup Exec 8.6 on Win2000 - Hardware errors?

CA959266

SSL2020 and Backup Exec 8.6 on Win2000 - Hardware errors?

About once a week I get an error like this during the verify stage of a scheduled backup:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: None
Event ID: 57665
Date: 5/16/2003
Time: 11:50:49 PM
User: N/A
Computer: (backup/media server)
Description:
Storage device "Drive1" reported an error on a request to seek to a logical media address.

Error reported:
No more data is on the tape.

It happens on multiple jobs, but always on the same tape library (there are two on the backup/media server).

It's happened on both tape drives in the library, so I'm thinking it's not a tape drive problem.

According to eventid.net, this error is related to MS KB Article 154690 - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=154690

Any suggestions? Is it a SCSI problem? A bad-media problem? Something else?
6 REPLIES 6
CA959266

Also, this only happens during the verify stage of each backup job.
CA727804

I've received this same error. In my research (yet to implement), I've found others have fixed this problem by updating the firmware on the tape drive. I assume there may be some correlation to a Windows Update that is installed that is not compatible in some way with older firmware revisions on some tape devices. It seems to only be an issue when trying to restore from a tape...which is a BIG issue if you ever need to restore. It may be worth a try. However, it should be noted that after updating the firmware on a tape drive your older tapes may not be readable because they were written using a different firmware. Thus, you may be forced to format and re-initialize all your tapes. This could be a problem if you need to restore from an old tape.
CA1049916

Are u by any chance appending to tape ??

If so de-activate ALL compaq agents before the backup begins. If this resolves your problem update your SCSI driver. There is a documented case with adaptec drivers, but I have had this problem with the cpqsfs32 driver and there was no update so I just deactive before backup then activate after.

Hope this helps

Artur Maia
CA959266

Artur,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am, in fact, using an adaptec scsi card in this system.

Disabling the agents seems a bit harsh - the backup server is running backups 7-10 hours per day and more on weekends, so I'd lose management alerting about 50% of the time.

When you say "update the SCSI drivers" - are you talking about Adaptec and/or Compaq drivers?

-David
Jon_184

Hey David, did you find anything about the problem? For 2 days now my 2 backups are giving me the exact same error message as you. I doubt it's a firmware issue since both tape drives are giving me the same errors and they are 2 different drives (1 compaq and 1 seagate).

Since it's only in the error is only in the verify, do you think the backups are still good for a restore? I haven't had the chance to try one.

Thanks!
CA1237339

I have experienced the same problem recently following a firmware/driver upgrade. I solved it by following the earlier advice to re-initialize the tapes.(WIN2k: deallocate tape then prepare tape)