1745826 Members
4185 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

XP Ghosting to new disk concerns

The CAT_1
Frequent Advisor

XP Ghosting to new disk concerns

Hello, this seemed to be the best spot to post this message. My concern has been ghosting the image of my old HD to the new one. I run WinXP Pro and know that ghosting an image of a Win2000/XP drive is not as easy as it was in Win95,98, etc. If your running XP, have you been also concerned with ghosting/migration software as I am looking for software that does this job reliably. I don't care about interfaces being pretty or easy, what I want is something I can rely on. I want to be able to ghost and image of any XP/2000 computer with applications fully set up and either burn the image to another Hard drive or CDR's. When I need the image, I can open it onto the drive of my choice and have it work. I have read bad reviews for DriveImage 7, Acronis TrueImage, V2i Protector, bothe versions. What's left? Must I go the "sysprep" route to copy this HD to a new drive. WIndows should have an application that can simply send a compressed image of your drive to any location and if disaster strikes, you can use the XP disk, boot, recover the image from the backup location and install to location of your choice, (server versions would also be able to access network drives). Anyone who has duplicated XP drives with software and has had reliable results please post your review or suggestion here. Thanks
Life is very interesting, isn't it?