Around the Storage Block
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Active-Active High Availability for the HP XP7 Disk Array

on ‎08-18-2014 09:51 AM

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpgBy Calvin Zito, @HPStorageGuy  vExpert 4 years.jpg

I have a soft spot for our HP XP Disk Array family - I was part of the team that brought the XP into the HP portfolio and kicking out the previous solution was just plain fun.  SO when the XP team came to me and asked if I could introduce some new functionality today, I said "Heck yeah!".  And what I have to show you is pretty cool stuff. 

Imagine being able to replicate between two arrays (either in the same data center, across campus, or 100km away) and with multi-array virtualization that allows active active access to virtual LUNS across those two XP7 arrays. What I just described is the new Active-Active High Availability Solution for the XP7.  And I have a ChalkTalk that gives a bit more about what it is. 

Pretty cool stuff, huh?  And again, we accomplish this without hardware or an appliance (which is what EMC VPLEX needs) or  with proprietary drives/middleware (like EMC PowerPath).  The solution simply requires hosts with industry standard multipathing drivers and industry standard clustering software - the XP7 takes care of the rest. 

Dive deeper

I did a blog post with a ChalkTalk introducing the XP7 that is worth a look if you haven't seen it already. I also did a follow-up post and ChalkTalk focused on XP Always On Disaster Recovery with Online Data Migration

You can learn more about the new XP7 at

About the Author

I have worked at HP for 32 years, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

monardo a month ago

I'd like to post a question about the output of raidcom cli on a XP7 storage : in which place/forum/blog can I post my issue ?

thanks a lot

P.S: the question is (see the output about "VIR_LDEV"): has the XP7 a historical memory ? If I delete the lun, how the storage can remember that the "fa:01" ldev WAS a virtual device ? thanks a lot...

[CGESTP83]root@sgestp83:/# raidcom get ldev -ldev_id fa:01 -ICA360
Serial# : 350550
LDEV : 64001 VIR_LDEV : 65534
SL : -
CL : -
SSID : 000A

2 weeks ago

Here's the link to the Disk Array forum in the community:

monardo 2 weeks ago

ok, in the meanwhile I ask to HP Labs and it's necessary to do the following commands:

- ... unmap the disk ...

- raidcom map resource -ldev_id 0x4444 -virtual_ldev_id 0x4444 -IH1

in this way, all the "historical information" of a specified lun will be deleted

Leave a Comment

We encourage you to share your comments on this post. Comments are moderated and will be reviewed
and posted as promptly as possible during regular business hours

To ensure your comment is published, be sure to follow the Community Guidelines.

Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
1-3 December 2015
Discover 2015 London
Discover 2015 in London, the ultimate showcase technology event for business and IT professionals to learn, connect, and grow.
Read more
November 2015
Software Online Expert Days
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts.
Read more