Around the Storage Block
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HP Storage in South Africa - and a few wild animals!

on ‎02-28-2014 10:21 AM

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpgBy Calvin Zito, @HPStorageGuy  vExpert 2011, 2012, 2013.png

To say I was a little excited about being invited to speak at a customer event by our HP Storage team in South Africa is a bit understated.  When they first asked me, I asked them "do you really mean me"?  Well, they did and I'm back from an unbelievable trip.  In this post, I'll briefly talk about all the fun I had, point to video and pictures I have of my weekend at Kruger National Park and share a podcast I did with Aptronics, an HP partner I met with in Johannesburg.

Planes, trains, and automobiles

Ok - the only train I took was between terminals at an airport but it was a very long trip for me to get to entrance of Kruger National Park in South Africa.  42 hours to be exact.  I didn't pay attention to the itinerary I booked and had a 7 hour layover in San Francisco.  That ended up being a good thing because I did get a bunch of things done preparing for the event in Johannesburg. 

I flew into Johannesburg, South Africa and caught a small commuter plane to Nelspruit where I rented a car and headed for the Crocodile Bridge entrance into Kruger National Park.

The call of the wild

If you've never been to an African wild animal park, I HIGHLY recommend you putting it on your bucket list.  Within an hour of entering the park, I saw hippos, rhinos, elephants, African buffalo, impala, bushpigs, wildebeest, and zebra.  Over the course of the two days, I also saw giraffe, turtles, cheetah, leopard, baboons, warthogs, Southern Ground Hornbills (an endangered species), vervet monkeys, crocodile, hyena, waterbuck, kudo, and all kinds of birds.  It was amazing!  I stayed in Lower Sabie (thanks to the recommendation of my colleagues Jim Haberkorn and Kim Howlett - Kim a native South African and Jim had lived there for a while) which was probably the best decision I made as there was never a shortage of animals around the camp.

I have a few videos on my personal YouTube channel with more coming.  The ones there now show rhinos, elephants, giraffe, zebra, impala, and cheetahs.  I'm still get goosebumps thinking about and I think you'll enjoy the videos so here they are (on a YouTube playlist). 

I also have a bunch of pictures on my Flickr account  - there are over 200 pictures but here's a "best of":

If you want to see all of the pictures I took (255 of them), here's a link to the full set on Flickr. While my photography skills need some work, there are a lot of great pictures!

On to business

Aptronics.jpgI spent a couple of days in Johannesburg - yes, actually working - and here's one of the podcasts I want to share with you.  I met with HP partner Aptronics where they told me a bit about what is going on in IT in South Africa and how they are having a lot of success with HP Storage.   Here's that podcast.

If you rather download this as a podcast, right click here and save the MP3 file. You can also subscribe to my podcast on iTunes - go to the iTunes store and search for "Around the Storage Block" or you can open this link and click on the "View in iTunes" button under my picture.

I have another podcast and I'll talk more about the event in Johannesburg in my next blog post.  

Best VMware blog voting

I wanted to wrap up by telling you about vSphere-land.com voting for the top VMware blogs.  While not every blog post I do is focused on VMware, I do talk about VMware a lot.  ATSB has been one of the top voted storage-focused blogs by vSphere-land voters.  If you have a few minutes, check out the voting and if you enjoy Around the Storage Block, cast a vote for it! 

Have a good weekend!

0 Kudos
About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE for 32 years, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Labels
Events
Aug 29 - Sep 1
Boston, MA
HPE Big Data Conference 2016
Attend HPE’s Big Data Conference on August 29 - September 1, 2016 to learn from peers in every industry and hear from Big Data experts and thought lea...
Read more
Sep 13-16
National Harbor, MD
HPE Protect 2016
Protect 2016 is our annual conference on September 13 - 16, 2016, and is the place to meet the world’s top information security talent, discuss new pr...
Read more