Automated Backup
1748259 Members
3652 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 4/40 library

Bonnie Tracy

HP 4/40 library

I hope this is not a stupid question and maybe I'm just overlooking something...

When you attempt to access the magazines, it says "Library Locked" and then exits you out to previous menu.

Other than power cycling the library, is there another way to unlock the library?
7 REPLIES 7
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP 4/40 library

Hi there.
Did you unlock the mechanical locks on the front of the trays ?
Did you unlock the library from the menu ?
Rgds
Any job still running on the library ?
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Andy Bloor_2

There are several ways in which you can unlock the library, some of which have been mentioned already:

1. Use the front panel and select via the operations menu.

2. Use the Web Management Interface and unlock the library from there.

3. Depending upon the backup software you are using you can do it from within. i.e. Veritas Backup Exec has an unlock and lock option when you go into the devices tab and right click on the library device.

Bonnie Tracy

Ok...I think you guys are misunderstanding me. Its not that I don't know how to unlock the magazines...it won't let me!

The doors are physically unlocked (via key)but locked through the menus. But, you cannot unlock the doors through the menu...not an option. When you go into magazine access...it says Library(not magazines)locked. If you power cycle the library and then go into magazine access...you get the option to unlock a particular door or all doors. But when it says Library locked...you don't get any other options...it boots you back out to the previous menu.

I didn't see any way through any of the menus to unlock the Library (just the magazines...when the library isn't locked that is!). But it seems to me there should be some way to unlock this rather than power cycling it.

Does this make any sense?
CA393246
Advisor

I have a couple of the 2/20 libraries and have never seen this behavior. I suspect it is a firmware issue. I'd have HP update the firmware.
Bonnie Tracy

Firmware is up to date. Already did that too.
Bonnie Tracy

By the way...this is an HP Surestore 4/40 with Ultrium LTO drives.

I found the unlock option through Veritas. I will try that next time it happens.

Thanks for all your help.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Your host software has most likely issued a SCSI reserve command, which prevents the library from allowing the magazines to be accessed. There should be a configuration or function in your backup application to control this.
The journey IS the reward.