1753370 Members
4936 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RDX Drive cannot be used as a backup drive in small business servers

Gruebel
Occasional Contributor

RDX Drive cannot be used as a backup drive in small business servers

We experienced recently that none of the HP RDX Storageworks Drives can be used for the Microsoft Small Business Server (2003 and 2008)internal Backup Wizzard (ntbackup) as they don't get listed in the available backup drive list. After installing the drive into the HP Proliant Servers they are displayes as an additional harddrive correctly in the explorer but cannot be adressed via SBS wizzards.

Any solution for this - major - problem?
11 REPLIES 11
Colin A
Advisor

Re: RDX Drive cannot be used as a backup drive in small business servers

I have the exact same problem, brand new ML 110G5, with SBS 2003 and a brand new RDX320 drive..
The server can see the RDX drive perfectly as I can copy files to it.., but when I use the SBS Backup Wizzard it says it can only save backups to an Internal or External drive????.., amd won't let me save a back up there...

Dead in the water with this one at the mo...

Any body got an answer for this one..?

Colin
Colin A
Advisor

Just come across this, looks like its MS problem...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/925097
mlwalker
Occasional Contributor

I spec'd out an internal RDX500 for an ML350g6 for a new SBS2008 customer and wondered why the wizard wasn't showing it in the backups... then I found this forum!

1. Is anyone from HP working with ProStor & Microsoft to resolve this issue and make the RDX a valid backup solution? This seems like the perfect fit for Microsoft's no-tape strategy.

2. Can someone modify the RDX QuickSpecs & website to point out that this is not a good backup choice for SBS?
Colin A
Advisor

Mmmm, that's interesting...

KB925097 was the answer for me with SBS2003, worked fine after that..., no further problems

Definatly works, you just have to do the kb to the letter...

Agree, it would be an idea if they sorted it once and for all...
Brian Mayo
Occasional Advisor

I've been using the RDX drives for years with SBS03..the solution I've used is simple, share out the drive..give system 'n admin full rights. And then in the backup wizard, browse to the share. Example:
\\server1\rdx
Brian Mayo
Occasional Advisor

Now the reason I found this thread, how about getting the RDX (or Dell RD1000..same thing) to work in SBS08? SATA powered ones.
Martijn ten Kate
Occasional Advisor

Did somebody found a solution to get the RDX(500) drive to work with SBS2008/Windows Server 2008 with Windows Server Backup?

I found a lot of information on the internet but nothing works.
This hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955561 can't be installed on SBS2008 or Windows Server 2008.

Someone who fixed it by scripting:
http://www.css-networks.com/2009/01/scheduled-backup-to-rdx-rd1000-with-sbs-2008-and-wbadmin.html
But I prefer the GUI.

Jeremy Dobe

This statement is innacurate:

I found a lot of information on the internet but nothing works. This hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955561 can't be installed on SBS2008 or Windows Server 2008.

If you go to the link it states that it can be installed on Vista and Server 2008 SP1. It doesnt apply to SBS 2008 which is what we need it to do. The registry edit works for SBS 2008 if you follow the information in the previous post.

Cheers
Jeremy

Colin A
Advisor

Read the other threads in this, the answer is there...

Check out the MS KB's etc...

I got it working fine...