4618 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot send SMTP mail to my own e-mail

Matt Fulks
Frequent Advisor

Cannot send SMTP mail to my own e-mail

Exchange 5.5 SP4

If I try to send a message to my own internet account, Exchange sends an Outbound Mail Failure notification. I can send and receive from other Internet e-mail addresses, I just cannot send a message to myself. For Ex. user@domain.com cannot send to user@domain.com. user@domain.com can send and receive from everyoneelse@domain.com.

Is there an Exchange setting that needs to be set? I checked the registry and DisableLoopbackConnections is not present in the IMC Parameters.
5 REPLIES 5
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hi Matt,

What is the full text of the NDR you receive when you try to send mail to yourself? Do you have any errors in the event log that correspond to this event? Please post some more details and we might be able to help. The exact info from the failure message you receive would be most helpful. I tested this on my side and it works fine. What version of Exchange and service pack, and Outlook version are you running?

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Matt Fulks
Frequent Advisor

Subject: Notification: Outbound Mail Failure - The host was not found.

A mail message could not be sent because the following host is unknown:

acc.edu
The message that caused this notification was:
To:
Subject: test

There are no error messages in the Event Log.
Matt Fulks
Frequent Advisor

Subject: Notification: Outbound Mail Failure - The host was not found.

A mail message could not be sent because the following host is unknown:

school.edu
The message that caused this notification was:

To:
Subject: test

There are no error messages in the Event Log. I had to edit the domain in the message to get around the firewall.
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hi Matt,

That is really strange that you can't send a message back to yourself. Are you receiving mail from other users in your mailbox? Are you receiving mail in your mailbox from otherusers@school.edu? Can you send mail from yourmailbox@school.edu to anotheruser@school.edu? Why do you have to edit the domain name, and what are you editing, to get mail sent around your firewall? What do you mean by you edited the message to get around the firewall? A client should never have to do any kind of editing or routing of an email message. The servers should take care of that. If you're editing something on the client to send email, something must not be setup right on your server such as relay, routing, etc. You should be able to send to youruser@school.edu without editing anything if the server is configured correctly.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Matt Fulks
Frequent Advisor

I had to change the domain name on the reply to the newsgroup. I have a desktop firewall that blocks e-mail addresses from being transferred over HTTP. If I send a message addressed to my smtp account, outlook converts the recipient to my mailbox (Matt Fulks). If I search by first name, Outlook is finding an address book entry from somewhere (Matt Fulks E-Mail). I do not have an entry for myself in the CONTACTS or Personal Address Book. I'm not sure where the entry is coming from.