BackOffice Products
1752815 Members
5990 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Outlook 2003 sends internal mails externaly!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Outlook 2003 sends internal mails externaly!

For example, if someone with Outlook 2003 installed (and external mail) in my organization sends me a mail (I have also external mail), I'll receive it externaly!!

This only happens when the sender has Outlook 2003 installed and both sender and receiver have external mail.

It doesn't happen in Outlook 2002!

Can anyone tell me why is this happening with Outlook 2003?

Kindest Regards,

Eric Antunes

Each and every day is a good day to learn.
12 REPLIES 12
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Outlook 2003 sends internal mails externaly!

Hi Eric,

I suspect your e-mail account in Outlook is configured as type POP/SMTP and not Exchange.

From the Tools menu, click "E-mail Accounts...". The E-mail Accounts wizard should start. Select "View or change existing e-mail acounnts", Next>
Check that your account type is "Exchange", if not, I would create a new account pointing to your internal Exchange server.

I'm not sure, but you may have to change the internal e-mail addresses that you use. The best way is to use the ones in the Global Address List.

Regards,

Gary
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your answer. I have both Exchange and POP/SMTP configured:

- Exchange for internal mail;
- POP/SMTP for external ones

We have it this way because we have an external mail provider... This is correct, isn't it?

I've also noted one more condition to reproduce this issue: the sender has Outlook 2003 installed, both sender and receiver have external mails AND the sender forwards one external mail he received!

Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Eric,

I don't have the same set up as you, but on my notebook, I have 4 pop/smtp accounts set up for 3 different ISPs (don't ask!).

What I find is that if I receive an e-mail via ISP 'a' then disconnect from ISP 'a' and connect to ISP 'b' and try to reply to the e-mail, the send fails, because tries to send via ISP 'a' - i.e. the method used for receiving the mail in the first instance.

The way around this is when you've got the e-mail open to forward it, before clicking "Send", click on the "Accounts" button and select your the account you want to use to send it - in your case, Exchange server; then send it.

Give this a go and see if it works. I guess the next thing then is to try to get it to use the Exchange server automatically.

Regards,

Gary
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Eric,

Why don't you use your Exchange server to collect and send e-mail via your external mail provider (ISP)? In this way the Exchange server would always route all of your mail.

Regards,

Gary
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,

"The way around this is when you've got the e-mail open to forward it, before clicking "Send", click on the "Accounts" button and select your the account you want to use to send it - in your case, Exchange server; then send it." -> I've tried this but no result since when I click on the "Accounts" button it has already "Exchange server" checked but it is still sending it externaly, via the ISP: you can only see this issue with large attachemnts (>5Mb) e-mails since sending them will be slow...

Your second suggestion will be worse for us since it will generate even more internet traffic than we have and because internal mails are faster than external ones.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric Antunes
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

One possible cause of this situation only ocorring with Exchange 2003 is that we have the Exchange Server still with the Windows 2000 Server release. Maybe upgrading it to Windows 2003 Server release will solve the problem?

Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

I find it hard to believe that you would have to upgrade to Exchange 2003 in order to get this to work.

WRT using Exchange to collect and send e-mail via your ISP; if you did this, it would still route internal e-mails internally and not via the ISP.

Regards,

Gary
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Gary,

How to I get Exchange to collect and send e-mail via my ISP? What setup I've to do??

Thanks,

Eric
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Good question!

I'm running both Small Business Server 4.5 and SBS 2003. In both these cases, Exchange comes with a POP3 connector, which you have to manually install and configure.

I'm sort of guessing that you're running Windows 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2000, and not the Small Business prooducts. In which case, you will need a third party product - have a look at http://www.slipstick.com/exs/popconnect.htm

Regards,

Gary