1753774 Members
7159 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: disable bootp on Netware 3.1 so DHCP can be enabled w/SBS

Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

disable bootp on Netware 3.1 so DHCP can be enabled w/SBS

I am attempting to setup a Small Business Server (4.5)to replace my Novell 3.1 server. I am getting a message that another DHCP server is running, and the Ip address is the Novell Server address. Since all the PCs on the network have fixed ip addresses (they are running win 95/98) using MS client for Netware Networks I have not been using the bootp on Netware to assign addresses. Can I and how do I disable bootp so that I can start to use DHCP on the SBS. There will be atransition period when I will need both servers running.
Thanks...
rdarling@southwickclothing.com
2 REPLIES 2

1. Novell Servers 3.x do not have bootp by default. They need LanWorkGroup or NFS services instaled. If one of then is installed disable it on sys:system\autoexec.ncf .

2. Are you sure Novell server is the bootp/dhcp server on your network ? Configure one Windows 9x TCP/IP propriets as a dhcp client, boot this PC, run WINIPCFG, ask for more information, see the SHPC server IP address, find this server.

Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Luis, Thanks for the info... been a little behind lately...I have the following lines in my autoexec.ncf relating to the LAN Workgroups:

REM LOAD LWGCON
LOAD NGWUTIL
LOAD NGWOFS @STARTUP.OFS
LOAD NGWADS @STARTUP.ADS
LOAD NGWMS @STARTUP.MS
Not having worked very much with Novell, and they are of little or no help, are these the lines I should rem...by the way...all of our PCs are running Win95/98 and accessing the server using MS Client for Netware Networks. All the PCs have static Ip addresses currently assigned to them. Thanks...
RCD
rdarling@southwickclothing.com