108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Air Conditioining

SOLVED
Go to solution
khalid rasool_2
Advisor

Air Conditioining

What should be ideal cooling for server room, My customer have two Racks which are fully equipped with Proliant,Itanium and MSA Storage and other one with networking components. I suggested room temperature should be maintain at 18C to 22C. Customer asked me for documentary proof but If I see proliant and Itanium quick specs it show 5C to 35C operating temprature. Now how I can provide these proof to set temperature accordingly.
Can I find any documents which support my logic.
5 REPLIES 5
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Air Conditioining

HP's documented "operating temperatures" are very confusing. Basically, they represent the min/max temperatures at which the equipment will function for a limited period of time.

Failures will increase dramatically as the ambient temperature rises from 70 degrees (F) up to 80 degrees. Anything higher than mid-70's, in my opinion, is asking for trouble.

Other than temperature, you MUST have proper airflow. Most racks take in ambient air in the front, and expel hot air from the rear. You MUST have proper air returns to prevent heated air from spilling over the top of the rack, and re-entering the front.

There are documents that you can find on the web (ASHRAE) that will hint that optimum ambient temperature should be from 20├В┬░C to 25├В┬░C (68├В┬░F to 77├В┬░F)

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
khalid rasool_2
Advisor

Thanks a lot, I think it will be helpful for me.
khalid rasool_2
Advisor

Thanks
B Corbin
Occasional Advisor

I see computer romms set to a temperatures of 68, 70 and 72 degrees.

Usually the humidity setting is around 45%.

What every the settings, keep them constant.

Brian
B Corbin
Occasional Advisor

I see computer romms set to a temperatures of 68, 70 and 72 degrees F.

Usually the humidity setting is around 45%.

What every the settings, keep them constant.

Brian