New Discussion юеВ

Backup solution needed! Advice Pls.

SOLVED
Go to solution
James_49
Advisor

Backup solution needed! Advice Pls.

Hi All

I need an executive decision to be made for me, as I'm getting very indecisive. I???ve got an LC2000 u3 with three 18gb hdds. These won???t be running any raid config. W2k server with Exchange 2000 Enterprise addition will be running with about 25 accounts working on this. This will eventually jump to 1500 accounts within two months plus an additional server. My question is (that???s if your still reading) what is the best Backup software you???re all using? I???ve tested Arcserve Brightstor 2000 and had trouble with OBDR but still like it. I???ve had a look at Veritas Backup Exec but their evaluation copy fails to come with DR agent, so I???m unable to fully test. I???m backing up to a DDS4 40gb internal Dat. I need a solution that???s easy to use for minor restores and stress free when the sh*t hits the fan and the lot goes belly up.

Any preference, comments, suggestions or recommendations to backup software or any other software then please feel free to air your views.

Yours gratefully

James
10 REPLIES 10
Dusko Lazarevic
Respected Contributor

Re: Backup solution needed! Advice Pls.

HI,

You can try Omniback 4.1. You can get 60 day fully operating license including DR from next site
http://www.openview.hp.com/products/omniback/
Just be sure that you install all patches needed for your application

Regards,
Dule
Gary Baker_1
Solution

I'd definitely persevere with the Veritas solution. It's true to say I have little experience with OmniBack, but I do have lots with both Backup Exec and Arcserve and for simple day-to-day manageability Veritas comes out streets ahead of CA. The DR option is easy to configure and use (as are all of the others) and for backing up Exchange, I've found nothing better, especially if you want to do the occasional brick level backup (not that I'm suggesting you should use this as your strategy).
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

After an exhaustive review of the products available (2 years ago), we chose Veritas. We have been very happy with the choice, considering we severely under projected our growth (project < 100, now have > 400).

Marty
Patrick Ruane
Valued Contributor

I've tried a few solutions myself and veritas gets my vote too. The DR works well and the excellent open file and network backup options swung it for me (things you may want to implement as you grow). All in all it's a stable, reliable solution with lots of upgrade options.
working harder, making better, doing faster makes us stronger
George Petrides_1
Honored Contributor

Veritas is a good package, Omniback is pretty good too. Just stay away from CA's products (just remember 'friends don't let friends buy Unicenter'), Legato which is fast but can make your life miserable, and also EMC's black box BS that promises a Mercedes, you pay for a Rolls and you end up driving a Hundai.
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

I agree with most replies so far re: Veritas and ArcServe/Brightstore.
One thing that You might have a look at is PowerQuest's Deploy Centre. I recently did a move from a W2K IDE drive to a SCSI!..Fun and games especially if you use active directory.. but.. on the whole the backup/restore worked very well! They are also threatening to come up with a new product sometime in the next quarter which will support dyanmic disks.. and probably make you coffee while you work. worth having a look at I would have thought
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

on the hardware end... are you planning on sticking with DDS? Maybe go out and get a DLT drive....
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

James,

I agree with Ted, you need to review the business aspects of your hardware. Let the business requirements drive you to an appropriate solution, software and hardware. We use Legato in conjunction with a Storage Tec
juke box with a capacity of 224 DLT4000's. We are reviewing upgrading our library and software as well.

My $ .04 for inflation,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

James,

To continue the hardware thoughts, HPWorld is next week in Los Angeles, Ca. and I'm pretty sure that all the hardware and software vendors will be there to show you what your options may be. Info on HPworld can be found at www.interex.org under conferences. There is a scheduled track on High Availability sessions which you might find interesting.

Chuck Ciesinski, Past Chair Interex's HAForum
"Show me the $$$$$"