Business Recovery Planning
1748026 Members
3893 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Data Center Cleaning

yo yo ma

Data Center Cleaning

Does anyone on here have any expirence in having his/her data center cleaned? i wanna know their experiences.
What did it cost? How long did it take? How many people where there? Any tips on hiring the right contractor?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Liviu I.
Frequent Advisor

Re: Data Center Cleaning

I've always dreamed about one of these in my data-center:

http://smallappliances.electroluxusa.com/node328.asp

Sorry for being a little bit offtopic, but I'd like to know if anyone uses something like this.
L.
Glenn S. Davidson
Trusted Contributor

I've never been in charge of a data center or anything but I've been in enough of them to see the internal operations.

I think most of the companies I've seen doing the cleaning are just local cleaning companies with "special" cleaning procedures for the raised floor areas. I have seen a company hired to lift the floors and clean under them but I don't know who they were, how long it took them or what they were cleaning.

Maybe not much help but I think it's going to depend on what the needs of the data center are. If it's just surface areas then I would think it would be pretty easy but would have to be re-introduced quarterly because of the turnover in those companies.
Conformity Destroys a mans initiative and independence. It supresses his powerful inner drive to do his own thing.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Cost depends on size of data center, level of cleaning, and prices tend to vary from on town to another.

Make sure they are experienced with data centers ! Otherwise you will discover how much damage can be done by a cleaning person with sensitive equipment.

Generally we do not have cleaning folks work in the data center....our DC is secured and kept locked down. We clean it. Yep, from Operators to Administrators - we clean it to ensure it is done safe and right.

Rgrds,
Rita (UNIX Admin/SAN Mgr & DC cleaning crew)
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

...by the way Yo Yo Ma..........giving up being a cellist ?
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

Yo Yo Ma,

as any good consultant would say, it depends on the size of your data center and what you want done. I strongly recomend using a 'Bonded Service' to help insure against damages, get references ( and contact them!) and make sure that you have someone watching over them...

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Dean Sirakides

I agree with *most* of the replies below.

It is definitely a job for a specialized company. The risk of an inadvertent press of a switch, crimp in a fiber optic cable, water spill or even fire suppression discharge is too high with general janitorial service or temp labor. Look for a national company with solid references plus full insurance.

I disagree with the poster who suggests using the IT crew to clean. Even if the IT team has the right equipment and has developed the right process--it just isn't their job. Besides the lost time, I have found it lowers moral when trained IT professionals are asked to clean under the floor tiles!

As for the specifics on time/cost, like all things "it depends". Data center size is the biggest factor, but equipment density, cable routing, current cleanliness, etc must also be considered. Most large cleaning firms can quickly develop a maintenance program that matches your need.

Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

Dean,

Good post. You summmed up all the comments..

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"