1752815 Members
5867 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Cable Modem access

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Cable Modem access

I have tried unsuccessfully to get my WL310 gateway to work in conjunction with my WL110 card in my Armada notebook to allow internet access via my cable modem, provided by Telewest. In cable modem mode, the gateway acts as a DHCP server and successfully allocates an IP address to the notebook. I'm assuming that the gateway in this mode acts as a DHCP client and in turn receives its IP address from the cable modem, although I can't work out how to see what IP address the gateway is actually using. This mode does not work. I have also tried the gateway in LAN infrastructure mode, again to no avail. Have also tried the gateway into an ethernet hub along with the cable modem and a hard-wired client. The hard-wired client worked fine, the other client attaching wirelessly did not work.

Any suggestions or pointers to documentation on how this should be correctly configured would be greatly appreciated. One constraint of note when considering this problem is that the cable modem provider demands that the hardware MAC addresses of each client (up to a limit of 5) are defined. I have done this for all devices mentioned above.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any guidance/ideas.