1753962 Members
7423 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Evo N1020v Belkin 802.11g PCMCIA problem

Nuno Carvalho

Evo N1020v Belkin 802.11g PCMCIA problem

Hi,

I have an Evo N1020v with Win XP ( all windows updates, all compaq updated, BIOS updates ) an bought an Belkin F5D7010 ( 802.11g ). I have tried to install the drivers that came with the card and the installation freezes when the drivers is being copied. Thought that it could be from the drivers, got the last drivers from Belkin still freezes the machine. Also tried the card in other notebooks ( not HP/Compaq ) and the card worked just fine. I've contacted Compaq Support but they didn't help me at all.

Have anyone installed sucessfully these card? Could it be a BIOS problem ?
36 REPLIES 36
Kent Shaw
Frequent Advisor

Re: Evo N1020v Belkin 802.11g PCMCIA problem

Did you try to install in Safe Mode? That would eliminate any conflicts with other software. Was the card plugged in during the driver installation? Installation routine may try to check the hardware before installing the drivers. Look on the installation CD and see if you can find a .inf file. Right click on that and see if the .inf has an install option. Last resort, call Belkin support(sounds like you have already tried everything else).

Nuno Carvalho

Hi Kent,

Tried all the things you wrote, even calling Belkin support. They say that the problem is not theirs because it works fine on other machines, probably it's a CardBus Controller problem.
Marc Diepenmaat
Occasional Advisor

Hi. have exacly the same problem and no solution whatsoever. Evo N1020v with the latest BIOS. Texas Instruments PCMCIA cardbus driver. XP Professional (Dutch) SP1 and ALL the essential and reccomended updates until today. Belkin 802.11g (F5D7010) PC Card Wireless Lancard.
XP freezes when card installed. Tried the dutch and the english driver.
Then tried the LinkSys Wireless-G adapter model WPC54G and with exacly the same problem. There IS something wrong with the PCMCIA slot inthis Evo n1020v !
jorgen_4
Occasional Advisor

I may have a simular problem, but with a DELL Inspiron 5100 with the same cardbuscontroller (TI 4410). The problem is (probably) the PCMCIA cardbus driver, not the driver for the PC Card. Check in Hardware list which PCMCIA cardbusdriver is installed.

My laptop blacks out and reboots when i insert a Tornado 211G 802.11G Wireless network card. In other laptops, the card works fine. Other PC cards, including a 802.11G PC Card, work fine.

Dell doesn't support this problem.
Texas Instruments sold their division to Acer. Both companies cannot (or will not) help. Tornado is working on a sollution, but so far without succes.
steve_454
Occasional Advisor

I have the same problem as everyone having
problem with cardbus controller driver

Please add me to the list.
Does everyone know compaq has come out with
a patch?
Thanks.
Marc Diepenmaat
Occasional Advisor

Hi.

My problem is solved but I don't think you will be happy to hear this. I installed Windows XP prof. myself and updated this Windows version with all the latest drivers and all the Microsoft updates available. I inserted my Belkin card and it FREEZES !! HP support told me that I had to use the Compaq restore CD to start all over again. I thought it was a ridicilous solution because then I needed to install all my applications again. But I also tried a Cisco WiFi PCMCIA card and this one also freezes my system. Finally I decided to re-install my laptop and now WITH the Compaq restore CD. After that I installed all the Microsoft updates and then I inserted my Belkin WiFi card. IT WORKED right away. Also the Cisco card worked. Conclusion: The CarBus driver in the restore CD is NOT the smae driver as the one available on the Internet. I was nog happy installaing all of my applications again but finally I could use my Belkin WiFi card.
Marc
jorgen_4
Occasional Advisor

NO!

i think your conclusion is to fast. It may very well be the same driver, but by reinstalling, the IRQ's are divided differently... check this please and let us know!
I think the problem is caused by a combination of driver- and IRQ conflicts. Since it is impossible to change IRQ's in Windows XP after it is installed, you have to reinstall all and just hope the IRQ's are re-shuffled.
(i tried to reinstall once (with my Dell re-install CD) and the IRQ's where the same...)

Have you checked the date / name of your CardBus driver? Is it different than the one you downloaded? (Where did you download it anyway: i cannot find any driver, younger or older...)
Marc Diepenmaat
Occasional Advisor

Yep, It IS the Cardbus.
Texas Instruments PCI-4410 CardBus Controller
Date driver 01-07-2001
Version 5.1.2600.0
Now using IRQ 10 (same as before re-install)

I don't exacly know the version of the cardbuss controller after the first installation (The microsoft XP installation and NOT the restoreCD) but I remember it was a driverdate in 2002 and not in 2001 as it is now. Collegue of mine dit the same thing as I did and this also worked. Maybe the problem with the Dell machine is not exacly the same ?
steve_454
Occasional Advisor

Hi Marc,
Is it possible for you to send the cardbus driver to me by email stevetong@theresidences.com

I would like to try to replace the driver files directly.
See whether it will work or not.
Thanks