1753509 Members
5195 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help design Wireless Lan for small Office

rogerpatel
Advisor

Help design Wireless Lan for small Office

Hello, looking for some advice in setting up a small Wireless Lan.

Usually we would go for Cisco kit but we would now like to move over to HP.

We need around 12 access Points scattered around our building to give us full internet access.

The units must be b/g, possibly N if the price it not too much higher.

The units must support POE, as we have a HP Procure POE Switch.

Some units will be patched into the LAN, but most will not be.

Is there are limit to how many devices we can have ?

we have looked at the M110, seems nice but i need to ensure they will work toghether, please supply your thoughts and if you think i should look at another modle, remember we estiamte around 12 units, possible more.

Our goal is for a user to browse the internet in the entire building on all floors without loss of connection, so they must be able to roam and automatically connect to the next WAP without loss or user intervention.

Thanks in advance.

Please feel free to make comments and changes, any advice is appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Help design Wireless Lan for small Office

I know it is a bit late in the game, but you should really look into having an MSM710 (smaller controller supporting up to 10 APs) and a couple of APs such as the MSM410 or MSM422.

The last 2 APs might be a little bit pricier but they support 802.11n. The MSM410 is actually a single-radio product whereas the MSM422 can be a good price/performance compromise as it has one radio for b/g clients and one for 11n which allow you to maximize the performance.

The MSM710 will allow you have a centralized web-based management interface to your small network.. very handy when you need to look at what's going on with the AP in the different floors. It also ensure that your configuration is consistent and that the SW is aligned on all the APs...

If you need more than 10 APs you will have to go with the MSM760 which can handle between 40 to 200 APs but is definitely pricier for a small organization.