1752767 Members
5290 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

5130 HI network design question

thrtnastrx2
Occasional Advisor

5130 HI network design question

I recently designed a multi-site network for a customer using 5820's as edge switches.  I designed the network with the following features.  Sites (IDF's) are connected via fiber.

1. Layer 3 at edge
  2. 10 VLAN's per IDF
  3. Each IDF VLAN has unique IP subnet
  4. Two 10GB fiber uplinks per IDF using routed interfaces
  5. OSPF/ECMP

As an example: 

1. IDF-1 VLAN 100-data 10.1.100.0/24, VLAN 101-voice 10.1.101.0/24
  2. IDF-2 VLAN 100-data 10.2.100.0/24, VLAN 101-voice 10.2.101.0/24

So the second octet is the IDF (site) and the third is the VLAN.  They want the same VLAN ID at all sites but different IP subnets, pretty straight forward.  Problem is the equipment that was sold is 5130 HI (JH326A) and these switches do not support the design.  So my question is what is the next best design for with the above constraints?  The core is a pair of 5900's.

I have to use layer 3 uplinks to be able to keep the same VLAN ID per IDF, but now I can't use routed interfaces I have to use an L3 VLAN, I can't use OSPF or ECMP, have to use STP and static (or RIP)...  Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

Re: 5130 HI network design question

Take a look at HP 5510

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Or a 3810. 

Have they shipped the switches yet? Maybe it's too late to swap. Speak to HP, they might take the switches back and provide something else.

If I have a multi-site network, doing L3 between sites is also my approach (and I also like having a standard VLAN ID that's the same on all sites), but I have a "core" switch on each site.. That's only OK if each site is a campus or multi-story building with multiple wiring closets on each site.

Otherwise you might have to have unique VLANs per site. Use the VLAN ID of site+last2digits of subnet, eg
Site1 uses 100,101, 102, site 4 uses 400,401,402.

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,

I've been in a similar situation a while back and used a couple of /30 networks to connect the edge to the core and implemented a couple of "floating" static routes i.e. 2 routes to the same destination network but with different metrics.

It wasn't pretty but it does the job.

FWIW, RIP isn't the end of the world if that's all you've got.

Or

IRF the 5130's together - IRF the 5900's together and LACP the uplinks into a single virtual pipe and throw a, now redundant, /30 route over that vlan sat on the BAGG? No STP to worry about.

HTH

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me