5876 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

All HP-A5920 switches getting MSTP_TC error continusly

suhasbhoir
Visitor

All HP-A5920 switches getting MSTP_TC error continusly

Thanks In advance ...

We have wxisting Cisco network...recently we purchease 80 nos of HP comware switches for extra users in our campuse...

we are integrating HP switches with existing cisco switches....but when we enabling STP on HP comware switches all HP switches are continusly throwing MSTP_TC error on console and all network start to slow down in the sance it increase latency in network...

For resolution we power off HP swtiches all network working smoothly withount latancy..even we power ON only one HP switch in network still we face the same latancy issue...

It is any Bug in firmware of HP switches or it is any hardware issue...

i have attached Topology diagram for your reference

Suhas

9 REPLIES 9
bakerbas
Advisor

Re: All HP-A5920 switches getting MSTP_TC error continusly

I suggest you refer to the Cisco-HP interoperability guide. Make sure you have the spanning-tree configs correct on each side. Hopefully this will be helpful to you.

HP-Cisco Switching and Routing Interoperability Cookbook

suhasbhoir
Visitor

Hi Bakerbas,
Thanks for your reply...

I have followed this document before one month but it doesn't make any difference...Kindle suggest any other idea
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Provide your spanning-tree configs from your Cisco and HP switches and we can have a look at what is wrong with your configuration.

suhasbhoir
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks For your reply...I have attached both cisco and HP switch config for your reference...please let me know if you have any additional..

Suhas

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

The Inter-Operability guide gives details about how to configure STP.

For example, it tells you to do the following:

HP Comware commands First, enable PVST+ on the HP FlexFabric 5900AF and HP 5500-HI switches.

system-view [HP5900AF] stp mode pvst [HP5900AF] stp global enable [HP5900AF] quit On the HP 5500-HI running Comware v5, the command to enable spanning tree is тАЬstp enableтАЭ.

16again
Respected Contributor

I just looked at image,
Is this really a single VLAN=subnet=broadcast domain spanning all those switches?  
If so this L2 domain is far too big,  use L3 functionality to "divide and conquer."

Mike_ES
Valued Contributor

Hi,

My suggestion is to migrate HP 5120 switches to MSTP. If you have Pre-MSTP on the Cisco you can also enable it for those.

There are a lot of troubles between new Cisco PVST standard and HP MSTP, please read this tread as the reference:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12285551/problem-migration-pvst-mstp

Br,

Mike

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I count just over 1100 switchports! (Not counting the core, could be another 200-odd there).

Based on my previous experience of tackling sprawling broadcast domains, this would be about a permanent level of 8Mb/s of basic broadcast traffic.
Also, any broadcast storm anywhere would kill everything.

Still, this isn't the issue. I've seen much bigger broadcast domains than this that (mostly) worked fine.

I reckon, assuming there are no loops, that the issue is going to be this:
The new HP switches probably have Gb Access ports and so the hosts attached to them will negotiate Gb on their connections. The traffic from those hosts will then concentrate on the way to the Core, through the massive daisy chain onto the 24-port Cisco switch which is the last Layer2 device before the Core.
From the note on the diagram, this 24-port Cisco switch has a 100Mb uplink to the Core.. Massive bottleneck!

Solution?
Get rid of the daisy-chaining, uplink all switches directly to the Core.

Semi-solution?
Get rid of the Cisco 24-port switch and replace it with something better.

Horrible solution:
Nail all the new switch Access ports to 100Mb. (!) (And wouldn't you love to be the next Network Manager to come on board and be confronted with this!?)

suhasbhoir
Visitor

Hi Vince,

I appreciate for your reply...

i Understood what you want to say...i do some changes according to your solutions, and let you know if there is any difficultly