1752800 Members
5502 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Error: "The amount of normal fans is less than 1"

DMEASE

Error: "The amount of normal fans is less than 1"

Hi all,

I am trying to set up the initial configuration on a 5900AF switch (HP 5900AF-48XGT-4QSFP+ to be precise), and am getting the following error repeatedly when connecting to the console:

"The amount of normal fans is less than 1"

This is happening on both of the switches I have.  On peering at the back of the switch, there appear to be 2 fan trays, and the fans look to be spinning ok.

Any ideas of what I should be looking at, as it is strange that it is happening on both of the newly purchased switches.  I am guessing that there is an issue with the fans...?  But not sure what to do next, or if this is a potentially previously known issue?

What I have not yet done, is power cycled the switches when the console is connected, to see if anything more meaningful pops up during boot (DC is remote, and I was taken off to other work).  Anything I can do from the boot menu (as far as I can see from R2311P06 release notes, this would be Ctrl+B  * during Boot ROM initialisation?  Looks to be a lot of shiny stuff like 'Extended Assistant Menu' etc...

Any general guidance greatly appreciated - in the meantime we will have a play and march on blindly...!

Cheers,

Darren

*Well, page 155 says Ctrl-B, and page 153 says Ctrl-D...

2 REPLIES 2
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Have you tried the "display fan" command? On our 5900 switches (with back-to-front fans) it gives the following output:

<CORE-HP5900-SW01>display fan
 Fan 1:
 State    : Normal
 Airflow Direction: Power-to-port
 Prefer Airflow Direction: Power-to-port
 Fan 2:
 State    : Normal
 Airflow Direction: Power-to-port
 Prefer Airflow Direction: Power-to-port

Pete W
Valued Contributor

Darren,

XGT flavours of 5700 & 5900 switches require HV fan trays (JG552A/JG553A).

My guess is that you have iinstalled the "standard" fan trays by mistake (JC682A/JC683A).

Regards,

Pete