New Discussion

Re: IRF 2 x 5900

SOLVED
Go to solution
jonare
Advisor

IRF 2 x 5900

Hey

Im trying to stack/irf two 5900 switches.

Running into:

Reason: IRF-Port is the same, please check.

DRVMNT/3/ERRORCODE: ErrCode = 1866268678, IRF: Peer Stackable Check Fail.

I have attached config and output of IRF commands in the attached *.txt files.

Im totally new to this and Im only using one DAC cable at the moment. Swith with ID: 2 have other names on its interfaces now but I need to verify and understand this.

Use the management ports on the backside of the swith for configuration.

Regards

J.

Jon Are Endrerud
5 REPLIES 5
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi.

I assume that you bought the DAC cable with the switches, so it is a model that is supported with your 5900 switches?

From your config I see that you have the same priority on both members. We have set different priority on each member: member 1 has priority 32 and member 2 has priority 30. This is so member 1 will always be master if it is up.

Did you remember to shutdown the IRF ports on both members before you configured them? 

interface FortyGigE 1/0/52
shutdown
quit 

irf-port 1/1
port group interface FortyGigE 1/0/52
quit

interface FortyGigE 1/0/52
undo shutdown
quit

Here is a guide that explains the process:

https://yuridejager.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/creating-an-hp-irf-intelligent-resilient-framework-networking-stack-between-2-switches/

jonare
Advisor

Thanks for the guide, It solved my problem.  IRF up and running !

The whole IRF setup seems a little shaky, had to boot and remove cables couple of times before it worked.

I assume this is not something one should to with swtiches that are up and running with production equipment ?

Thanks

J.

Jon Are Endrerud
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't say it was "shaky" personally, but I would say it is very important to be very careful to follow the configuration steps precisely as shown in the manual, doing things precisely in the correct order.

I say this because I've had to add switches to an IRF stack and it was a live network supporting some fairly high-profile project and I didn't want to be bringing it down.

jonare
Advisor

I see your point Vince.

What i meant was that a lot of the guides and documentation both official and unofficial, advice to reset saved config before doing it. Even on the master device.

I have some contacts in HPe, I will send them an email about the subject to clearify and post the answer too this thread.

Thanks for all help and comments so far.

J.

Jon Are Endrerud
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I followed an earlier version of this:
HP 5900 Switch Series IRF Configuration Guide-Release 2307

I had a live IRF stack of 10GB SFP+ switches and they wanted a bunch of copper ports added to it for ILOs and stuff.

I read the guide *very* carefully, because the 10Gb ports had a bunch of science-stuff on it that needed to run 24/7.