1748199 Members
3105 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Jumbo frames on A5500 series

EAinsworth
Occasional Contributor

Jumbo frames on A5500 series

I'm a bit confused here...it seems that the A5500 series switches support jumbo frames on the ports, but as soon as you turn on VLAN interfaces, jumbo frame support disappears.  Jumbo frames won't even pass through on the same VLAN.  Am I missing something here?  The MTU on a VLAN Interfaces is only 1500, and there is no "jumboframe enable" command.  This seems like a glaring oversight.

10 REPLIES 10
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Re: Jumbo frames on A5500 series

Hi,

do not have 5500 right now to test, but based on release notes, as of R2210 (5500EI), there should be an MTU command on the routed vlan interface context:

int vlan x

mtu x

Default is 1500, but you can now increase it to support routed jumboframes,

Hope this helps,

Best regards,Peter.

EAinsworth
Occasional Contributor

1500 is the maximum. I'm not sure if this is a bug, because you would figure it would be at least 9000.

internalnews
Frequent Advisor

e.g.

system-view

interface gigabit 1/0/1

jumboframe enable

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

which firmware (dis version) are you running ?

You might need to update (since MTU update on the routed vlan interface was added in later releases),

Best regards,Peter.

internalnews
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, I mixed something up. With release R2220p02 on a A5500-EI, mtu size can indeed only be set up to 1500 only on a vlan-interface, just tested. So, do we have a bug?

EAinsworth
Occasional Contributor

I believe this is a bug, or an oversight at the very least.  You would have to believe these switches are capable of passing jumbo packets across VLANs. This limitation has been there for the last several versions.  Do HP employees monitor these forums, or is there a different facility to report this kind of issue?

internalnews
Frequent Advisor

Just tried on R2220P07. If you go vlan interface, you cannot set "mtu" higher than 1500

Is there any news about this one?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>or is there a different facility to report this kind of issue?

This is a peer to peer forum, not an official HP support site.
Have you tried contacting the HPSC?
http://www.hp.com/go/hpsc

internalnews
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Dennis for the reply. I myself haven´t contacted HPSC. Perhaps someone else already did within this thread and already has answers...