3474 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 830 / HP 425 - VLAN and WLAN configuration

hsys
Occasional Visitor

HP 830 / HP 425 - VLAN and WLAN configuration

Hallo,

I’m trying to install a HP 830 but I can't figure out how to correctly configure the VLAN for the WLAN-Clients.

What I have:

192.168.1.0/24 - LAN, regular Network with Servers and Clients. No VLAN.

192.168.1.41/42 - HP 830

192.168.1.43 - HP 425 Access Point.

192.168.100.0/24 WLAN-Network

Separate Gateway for WLAN-Clients

Multiple Switches

What I want to do:

I want to build separated WLAN for Clients (All CLients in one VLAN is fine) with an additional Gateway.

I want to use VLAN, because the APs and Gateway will be on different switches in the production environment.

Switch and Access-Controller should be accessible (Management-Interface) within the normal LAN 192.168.1.0/24.

WLAN-Clients should only have access to the Gateway (Internet-Connection only).

WLAN-Clients should use the DHCP-Server on the HP830.

What I have done:

Set IP and Device Name.

Set up VLAN for inter-switch-communication.

Set up an "Access Service" (WPA2-PSK).

Set up an additional VLAN-Interface for the DHCP-Server.

What doesn't work:

WLAN clients can't ping the gateway.

I've built this "Testing-Environment".

The client directly attached (via Cable) to the HP830 can ping the gateway.

But I can't figure out, how to configure the VLAN on the Access-Controller.

There are multiple Settings like "VLAN (Untagged)", "Default VLAN" or the possibility to bind VLANs to different Radio/APs but I don't know how the affect the traffic and how they depend on each other and the manual is unclear because it only shows where to find these settings and not how they will affect the hole setup. I tried several

Long story short: How can I assign a VLAN to a WLAN and which VLAN-settings have to be assigned on the switch-port?

I guess, it would work if the WLAN-Packets could be send as "Tagged 100". But i don't know how to do that or if that is the right way to achieve my goals.

Any tips or recommendations would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Marc

1 REPLY 1
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Re: HP 830 / HP 425 - VLAN and WLAN configuration

Hello

How can I assign a VLAN to a WLAN?

-If you are using web GUI Wireless Service ->Access Service then you should enter VLAN 100 as both untagged VLAN and default VLAN.

-If you are using CLI you should pay attention which WLAN-ESS interface is bound the wireless service. The WLAN-ESS interface should be configured as access or hybrid port in VLAN 100.

This setting only determines to which VLAN is assigned the wireless traffic of the respective WLAN. It doesnt determine how the traffic is sent to the wired network (tagged or untagged).

Which VLAN-settings have to be assigned on the switch-port?

-The switch and controller engine of the device are connected by an internal link-aggregation Bridge-aggregation1. This interface is by default access-port in VLAN 1 only. Make Bridge-aggregation1 trunk-port and allow VLAN100. This should be done on the switching engine and controller enigne separately. Otherwise the controller cannot forward VLAN 100 traffic to the wired LAN.

-The port of the switching engine leading to the gateway should be member of VLAN 100 -tagged or untagged (access or trunk) depending on what is the configuration of the switch on the other side. (if I see it correctly it is a trunk port with PVID 1 and tagged VLAN 100. This should be OK

-The port where the AP is connected can remain access port in vlan 1 only because the AP tunnels the wireless traffic to the controller in VLAN 1 and the controller performs the assignment to VLAN 100 and forwarding to the wired network. Of course it is possible to send the traffic from the AP direkt to VLAN 100 but this setup is more comlicated.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo