4240 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Error in Oracle utility sh: /usr/local/bin/bash: not found. after install BASH

mohd280
Advisor

Error in Oracle utility sh: /usr/local/bin/bash: not found. after install BASH

Hi there ,

I'm trying to run Oracle utility called raccheck . It is required bash 3.2 r higher . I installed bash 4 as I have hp-ux 11.31 itan. eveything work great from install bash along with it's dependency .

I configure the bash as and add it to path and run the utility . I receiveed many errors .

Checking ssh user equivalency settings on all nodes in cluster

Node server1 is configured for ssh user equivalency for oracle user

Node server4  is configured for ssh user equivalency for oracle user

Node server3 is configured for ssh user equivalency for oracle user

sh: /usr/local/bin/bash:  not found.

There are prompts, traps or calling oraenv in  /etc/profile /home/oracle/.profile on server2 which will cause issue in raccheck successful execution. Please remove or comment all read -p, trap and oraenv statments and run again

sh: /usr/local/bin/bash:  not found.

I think it is from Oracle utility but Oracle support calims it is a HP-UX issue . may I miss somehting here !!!

Any way after installed bash I add /etc/PATH (/usr/local/bin). Your help is appreciated.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from HP-UX > System Administration to HP-UX > databases. - Hp Forum moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Error in Oracle utility sh: /usr/local/bin/bash: not found. after install BASH

First, what happens when you type: /usr/local/bin/bash

Then, what happens when you type: type bash

The error messages seem to indicate that Oracle code is *not* using $PATH at all but has hardcoded /usr/local/bin/bash.

After you installed bash, did you check where bash is located? If it is in another directory, you can create a symlink in /usr/local/bin to make the hardcoded path work.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
mohd280
Advisor

Re: Error in Oracle utility sh: /usr/local/bin/bash: not found. after install BASH

hi ,

It is installed in /usr/local/bin . The output is 

node2 $type bash
bash is /usr/local/bin/bash

node2 $

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What happens when you invoke bash as oracle user?

$ /usr/local/bin/bash

I would have thought if there were permission problems you would get a different error than "not found" but what does this show?

$ ll -d /usr /usr/local /usr/local/bin /usr/local/bin/bash

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If /usr/local/bin/bash is accessible to the oracle user, the actual problem might be that there is a shared library that is required by bash but is not accessible by the user.

Run "ldd /usr/local/bin/bash" as root and as the oracle user. The outputs should be identical. If they are not, check that the libraries mentioned on the lines that have differences are accessible to the oracle user. The library must be readable, and the directory path to the library must have both read and access permissions (r and x) all the way up to the root directory level.

MK
mohd280
Advisor

Thank you all . The problem I have to install BASH on all nodes as it is a cluster .

Thank you agai.