Re: how to keep a disaster recovery db up to date

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carlo Henrico_1
Regular Advisor

John

Just to add my 2 cents worth...

I make use of the extensively and in actual fact switch log files every 10 minutes. The Disaster Recovery database is never more than 10 minutes behind.

One major issue though is the following:

Regarding the format of the archive log files, please have a look at:

<60514.1> (This is on Oracle's Metalink) "ALERT: Archive Logs can be Silently Lost on Desktop Platforms"

I am using

log_archive_format = arch_%t_%s.arc

And it will continue to increase sequence number.

Good luck

Carlo
Live fast, die young - enjoy a good looking corpse!
Julio Yamawaki
Esteemed Contributor

John,

Sorry, I was out of office today.
About our solution, it's partially made by scripts because we use this stand by db to disaster recovery and we make an update every night (this script simple get the archivelogs and update until the last - 1).
Whe have another script in crontab that copies archivelogs every 30 minutes (in case of disaster, this archivelogs are safe!).
Remember only to make logs in your scripts, to verify the successfull completion of the updates (this logs can be automatically send to your e-mail).

Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

We are running 8.1.7, and I am implementing an Oracle standby solution for drp.

now, I wanted to also have a local standby server, close to the production one, where I could run my reports from, and do my backups from ( have not implemented RMAN yet ).

now,I was under the impression that I could only have one stand by db, but read here of multiple ones.

Do you have any docs where I can how to implement that ? I was going to use BCVs to get that local copy of production going, but if I can set up two stand bys ( one local, one remote ), then, this would be perfect.

Also, does anybody have any experience with omniback and rman integration ? I hear it is prety smooth !!!

cheers,

Henrique Silva
"to be or not to be, what was the question ???? "
John Flanagan
Regular Advisor

Henrique Silva,

I can't answer these questions for sure but it sounds like you can have as many standby db's as you like if you use the archive log mode of update.

You should probably post a new question in the forum.

John.