108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle 10g on hpux career path

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Deepest apologies for the double post. Please only assign points to one reply, zero for this.

>>>
Some people mentioned that sys admin job are not highly paid nowadays when compared to application admin on unix.
<<<
Perhaps this is a local thing, but I would check this out further. Good admins in the US make very good money and it is demanding work that pays well all over the world.

AS I noted in my first post being a good admin and having good knowledge of Oracle will make you a hot prospect.

Note, posting your email address to itrc is a great way to attract spam. Most spammers harvest email addresses from public web pages. I suggest you post to the issues thread and have your email address edited out of this post.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Hello Shiv

Age does not matter in this part of the world. One only need to have the hunger for the knowledge.

Agewise I am a tad away from you. Without much of bragging in a short time I could achieve the following since 2001: Basis (SAP) certification on Unix/Oracle (2001), Oracle OCA/OCP 9i (2002), Knowledge of XP1024 (2003), HP-UX CSA (2004), OCP 10g (2005).

Many of these learnings are now coming from the fresh enigeers joining the company. At this stage lot of hand-on are done by them. They take of science. I take care of Art. Documentation and knowledge sharing are other great tools to keep update with the knowledge.

In this field the more you share, the more your learn.

My best wishes.

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Hi Everyone,

It is my ambition and goal of life to be a good Unix System Admin. I like to learn HPUX, AIX, IBM Mainframe Unix (it is called zOS Unix System Services).

I am grateful to the people of this forum who are sharing their valuable knowledge.

My quest of learning will continue. Forum members please forgive me for silly questions sometime i post. But again sometime i feel it is better to be fool once rather than throughout my life.

Regards,
Shiv
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Shiv,

Good luck to you in your career aspects. Have you received my mail ? I had sent some materials to you.. I am posting here since i didnt see any reply from you to my email.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Shivkumar,

Age should not be a factor to gain knowledge, may be for experience. With years of hands on experience, one learns form ones own mistakes and various experience / situations.

Your career path to be an Oracle DBA is good. As others said having Oracle DBA skills along with UNIX systems administration is an added advantage. I believe knowing database administration and Systems administration, helps a lot in many aspects.

ITRC is one of the best places to know and learn a lot about systems, databases on various environments. By reading the various posts in itrc and how they overcome their problems, is like a real time experience. There is wealth of knowledge here. The other areas are books, certifications and mainly hands on. Once you get a chance for hands on then you will remember that command / situation more easily then reading for a book.

Getting a good placement for me is "Being at the right place at the right time". Offcourse one should be qualified for the role as well.

And remember unless you ask you will never know, and there is no such think as a silly question. I am sure many of us had learned many things while answering to your questions. Knowledge increases / grows by sharing.

Wish you good luck in your career pursuit.

With best wishes
Indira A

Never give up, Keep Trying
ericfjchen
Regular Advisor

Hello Arunvijai,

Could you pls send OCP related documents to me?

My e-mail : ericfjchen@bluebottle.com

Thanks

Eric
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Yes Arun!! I received your material. I replied to you. Sorry for the late reply as yesterday i came very late. Appreciate your help.

warm regards,
Shiv

Hi Shiv,
Age is not at all a barrier when you have the fire inside. Also a good architect/administrator needs a lot of real world experience which will be translated to age.
About Oracle DBA, yes there are lot of opportunities but acquiring a certification is the best path as there is competition too.
1. Get OCP certification.
2. Get knowledge of SAN as most of the Oracle istallations are going to use RAC and SAN combination.
3. You can prepare yourself using some test software from www.selftestsoftware.com
Good Luck !!
--Raju