Disk Enclosures
1752367 Members
5837 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP EVA 4400 - Software Diagnostics error !

vmcreator
Occasional Advisor

HP EVA 4400 - Software Diagnostics error !

Hi People,

I have just inherited a HP EVA 4400 HSV300 [ new job at customer site ].

Version: 09004000

Build: CR11EFlep-9004000

I haveon the Controller Enclosure section in Command View errors showing "Software Diagnostic Failure".

In the "Controller Event Log" everything is good = green ticks, but in the "Management Server Events Log" there is the following error = Parsefile for current firmware version not found. Upload correct parse file CR11EF.

Everything is still working.

Can you help me with the procedure etc to have this fixed.

Best Regards

Bob

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello, 

for the parse file, you can upload this yourself via command view (when you find the correct parse file that is).

The parse file comes with the firmware, but I do not know where to find this.

Your firmware is very old, almost the first one that was released. There are lots of improvements in later firmwares, but you should stay away from firmwares before 09534000. I've seen EVAs run fine on your firmware tho, especially if there's not many disk shelves.

Can you see any more detailed errors on the controller enclosure? Is the problem on only one controller? For example maybe not all power cables are connected? Battery problem? It may be that the EVA was powered up with only half of the power cables connected and they were then later plugged in. When it was powered up it failed the test.

After you fix the parse file you should be able to tell from the controller event logs why the EVA had a software diagnostic failure. There should be a specific event for it. 

If all is OK / the problem is fixed, you may have to reboot the controller to clear the soft diagnostic error.

vmcreator
Occasional Advisor

Hi Johan,

Thanks for the reply. I will talk with colleagues to understand the history of this problem.

Best Regards

Bob

Sebastian.Koehler
Honored Contributor

In most of the cases, those soft diag errors are caused by a complete power outage (both controllers will show them) or a controller termination (single controller). A reboot of the indicated controller will clear this flag as Johan stated. Since the code is no longer under active support, HP will not search for the root cause since it has most likely fixed in the meantime. Go for a code upgrade during the next maintenance window. Upgrading to XCS 09340000 requires you to power off the EVA including shelfs after the upgrade. The upgrade to XCS 10001000 and apply disk firmware afterwards.

Regards,
Sebastian