Disk Enclosures
1748074 Members
5511 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array P410 firmware update from 3.50 to 6.64?

madsmaks
Advisor

Smart Array P410 firmware update from 3.50 to 6.64?

I have been investigating a performance problem on a Windows SBS 2011 virtual server hosted on a Microsoft Windows Hyper-V 2012 R2 server host. The virtual machine and virtual hard drive files are stored in a RAID5 array running on a Smart Array P410 controller.

To cut a long story short I used HPSSACLI to determine that one of the drives has a status of 'Predictive Failure' but also noticed that this controller is running firmware version 3.50. The latest is currently 6.64.

My question is: "Is it safe to upgrade the firmware directly from 3..50 to 6.64?

16 REPLIES 16
madsmaks
Advisor

I managed to answer this question myself by obtaining a Smart Array P410 controller with BIOS version 3.00 and trying it so I thought I'd post here in case anyone else finds themself asking the same question.

I set up the Smart Array P410 controller in a test system running Hyper-V 2012 R2 host with a couple of guest virtual machines similar to the production environment that requires the BIOS upgrade. I had the guest operating systems do some basic tasks while I upgraded the BIOS of the Smart Array P410 controller from version 3.00 directly to 6.64(B). There was no discernable pausing or other issues within the guest operating system during the firmware installation.

The host system did of course need to be rebooted to complete the upgrade but there were no issues here either and the whole operation was completed in under 3 minutes.

I will now attempt the same procedure remotely on the production system and keep my fingers crossed.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I would consider to replace the bad disk first, wait for the rebuild and upgrade once finished.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
madsmaks
Advisor

Yes, probably a good idea, Torsten.

I will order the replacement disk today and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Jon

madsmaks
Advisor

The drive replacement went perfectly and there were no problems with that but the firmware update on the production server presented more of a challenge.

I upgraded the firmware from 3.50 to 6.64 and rebooted but unfortunately the system failed to start properly and would only proceed with the Smart Array P410 Controller removed from the system. I was lucky enough to have a spare server less than an hours drive away that also had a Smart Array Controller installed so I was able to swap the drives into the spare server and return this to the customers site with only a few hours downtime.

I tried without success to contact HP Enterprise for an old revision of the firmware so that I could revert back to a version that worked with the motherboard in this server but the chap I spoke to didn't even know what a Smart Array Controller was and wouldn't help without the serial number of the card which I couldn't get at that time as the system wouldn't boot with the card installed.

I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help with obtaining an older version of firmware for the HP Smart Array P410 Controller - I know version 3.50 works in this motherboard so if anyone has a copy it would be much appreciated?

The other alternative is to figure out a method of getting the controller to work in an Intel S5520HC motherboard so if anyone has managed to get that working I'd be very interested.

Cheers

Jon

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

even after some hundreds of updates i have never seen such issue.
what is the error you get?

older versions are available if you click revision history tab.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

madsmaks
Advisor

There is no error. The boot process simply appears to stop after the Smart Array Controller has completed it's initialization and identified the logical drive. All we are seeing at that point is a black screen.

We have seen this problem before in some Intel motherboards but didn't realise that it was related to the firmware at the time. I wrongly assumed that as the board was already happily running with the Intel S5520HC motherboard that it would continue to do so after the firmware update.

I checked out the revision history but it only goes back as far as 6.60. Do you have any idea where I might look for an older version or is there anyone I can contact.

Jon

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3883933&swItemId=MTX_76b3f51ab60c4d4397d7688103&swEnvOid=1005#tab-history

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

madsmaks
Advisor

Brilliant! Thanks Torsten.

I'll see if I can determine the latest firmware version that will run with that motherboard and post here in case anyone else has similar issues in the future.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

In what server model this smart array is installed?

Are there other related components, a SAS expander for example?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.