1751691 Members
4613 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP AutoRaid on 'normal pc'

Nico van Royen
Frequent Advisor

HP AutoRaid on 'normal pc'

We have had several (bit old) AutoRaids (Model 12) wich are now no longer used in our work envirement. We plugged them off from our HP9000 servers and trying to get them to work on normal every day pc's (Wintell boxes).

The problem is that even the SCSI card in the machine does not see anything attached to its SCSI bus.

Normally, the autoraid is equipped with 2 controllers (X and Y). We removed on of the controllers (Y) and attached a SCSI cable to one of the connectors of controller X and a terminator on the other connector.

In the autoraid (using the fron panel display) we made one single logical drive with the maximum size. But nothing is seen in the SCSI cards boot-up bios. (NCR 875 card, ultra wide)

The AutoRaid itself gives no warning or error on its display suggesting everyting is fine.

Are there any specific settings that needs to be set in the autoraid or the wintell box/bios for the autoraid to show?
Things like, enable/disable parity, enable termination inside the autoraid or.. whatever settings there might be....

Any help is appreciated...

Nico
If all else fails, try reading the manual...
2 REPLIES 2
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP AutoRaid on 'normal pc'

I am almost positive that your problem is an incompatible controller. Note that Ultra-Wide is not sufficiently defined. These array require HVD (Hi Voltage Differential) SCSI controllers (e.g. Adaptec AHA-2944UW). In addition every component on the bus, including terminators, must also be HVD SCSI. That the cables "fit" the connectors means absolutely nothing.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP AutoRaid on 'normal pc'

I did a little more digging and your NCR 875 is definitely LVD SCSI and is absolutely imcompatible with HVD.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.