108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA50 has extreemly loud fan noise

SOLVED
Go to solution
jaykay
Occasional Advisor

MSA50 has extreemly loud fan noise

Hi, so i have moved tot he world of hp servers. Just deployed a DL380G6 and an MSA50 (P800 controller). All is working well apart form the extreemly noisy fans on the MSA50!

Its like its running full speed but its not! Any way to quieten the little beast down?

4 REPLIES 4
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

Re: MSA50 has extreemly loud fan noise

Generally, if the fans are running at high speed it may be due to one of the PSU or Fan is not working properly. When that happens, Disk Enclosure starts running to redundant PSU or Fan at very high speed and it generates the noise.

Quick Specs: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12245_na/12245_na.pdf

Could you please, verify if both the PowerSupply and the Fan is working or rotating at the speed it should be?

Moreover, could you confirm if backend shows any amber LED lit on the MSA?
Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
jaykay
Occasional Advisor

Hello and thankyou for responding! :)

The LEDs on the front and back of the unit are all green when the unit is running. Sometimes if the unit gets powered off, the LEDs on the back will go Orange the very first time you plug the unit into power, but once you fire it up...they all go Green.

Is there any software i can use to check the voltages and fan RPM of each PSU?

AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

None that I know of. :(

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
jaykay
Occasional Advisor
Solution

The MSA50 is just a noisy machine :)
I have swapped to a MSA70 and its lovely and quiet!
Peace has returned to our office.