Disk Enclosures
1752571 Members
4578 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant ML350 - 1794 Array accelator battery charge low/needs replaced - but server shutting do

lucidr3v3ri3
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant ML350 - 1794 Array accelator battery charge low/needs replaced - but server shutting down

Good morning,

I have a client with a ProLiant ML350 G5 that has been reported as randomly shutting down as frequently as once per day. Finally, I had the opportunity to see it for myself, as I'd only heard about it for a while. At any given time, the screen will go black, and the four LEDs report as follows:

#1 (Power) - Green, solid

#2 (Internal health?) - Flashing red

#3 (Disk health?) - Flashing red

#4 (Network) - Off

It will respond properly to a hardware power down. When it comes back up, this is the exact message when it hits the SCSI array controller:

Slot 0 HP Smart Array E2009 Controller (128MB, v1.66)

1794 - Slot 0 Drive Array

Array Accelerator Battery Charge Low

Array Accelerator Batteries Have Failed to Charge and Should Be Replaced

I read a fairly lengthy thread from 2008 about how to go about updating controller firmware/recharging battery/replacing battery (though it doesn't sound like it's always the answer). What I didn't see, however, was anyone else experiencing the sudden system shutdowns (which is why I started this thread).

In Windows Server 2003 SBS, the Event Viewer certainly recognizes the unexpected shutdowns when they occur, but there is nothing indicating any sort of hardware failure (that is, as far as the OS can tell).

My question is whether the failed accelerator batteries would be causing these sudden, intermittent shutdowns?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Ben

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant ML350 - 1794 Array accelator battery charge low/needs replaced - but server shutting do

Hello,

I would remove the battery to check if the battery is the root cause for the outage. If the outages continue, even with the battery removed, there must be another component causing the problems. You could check the IML, the integrated management log, for error messanges. Do you have the Insight Agents installed in the SBS? Using the Systems Management Homepage you can take a look into the IML.

Best regards,
Patrick
lucidr3v3ri3
Occasional Visitor

Hi Patrick,

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I'll try removing that battery and seeing what happens.

I'm not sure if the Insight Agents is installed on the SBS. I just took the account over. Presumably, the Insight Agents are a download I can install directly in the OS?

Thanks!
Ben

Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

The IML logs are available in the ILO management interface.

( ILO has HW access to a lot of stuff and bypasses the OS entirely)