StoreOnce Backup Storage
1751694 Members
5177 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Remote D2D 4106fc Replication to central B6200....What's the network protocol it uses?

MO_4
Frequent Advisor

Remote D2D 4106fc Replication to central B6200....What's the network protocol it uses?

I have a D2D 4106fc in Paris Office as target VTL for local backups from a windows 2008 R2 Server via iSCSI.  It's working fine.

We have noticed some slow performance over WAN while replicating back to B6200 Central office located in NY.  My network Admin asked me the following question:

"What is the protocol that the D2D speaks over the WAN back to B6200 in central office?  I thought it was SMB or SMB2.  Is it iSCSI also?"

I just need to know the protocol it uses?  Is it iscsi or SMB?

Thanks in advance for suggestions or links to document that clearly states protocol.

MO.

1 REPLY 1
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Re: Remote D2D 4106fc Replication to central B6200....What's the network protocol it uses?

Hi MO,

iSCSI is only used to take backups (think SAN)

TCP/IP is used for replication purpose.

Found the port numbers 9387 & 9388 are used for replication communication over WAN.

Cheers

TarunJain

Refer: HP StoreOnce Backup System Concepts Guide

http://h41111.www4.hp.com/promo/ESSN-brm-solution/de/de/pdf/HP_StoreOnce_Anwenderhandbuch.pdf

If replication needs to take place through a firewall, the network administrator will
need to open (TCP) ports 9387 (Command protocol) and 9388 (Data protocol) to allow the
replication traffic to pass to and from the HP StoreOnce Backup Systems.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">