1752794 Members
6378 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hard Drive

Dennis_27
Occasional Contributor

Hard Drive

Can I install two hard drives on one PC? Currently I have a CD-Rom, CD-RW, one hard drive, and a floppy disk installed. I bought a new hard drive but I would like to put the old one (if possible)back on for other resources. I think I can I just don't know the procedure.

Any help is greatly apprecitated

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Dennis,

It shouldn't be a problem to put your second disk drive in the PC.

If you pop the case open here's what to look for.

-is there an open 3.5" or 5.25" bay to hold the second drive

-does the ide ribbon cable have an open connector? if one of the cables has two devices connected already, and the other has one device but no extra connector... you'll need to get another ide cable so you can connect 2 devices.

If the inerds check out ok, the only thing you'd need to do before connecting the 2nd drive is to properly set the jumper so it doesn't conflict with other device.

What model of PC is it? Might be able to find an online guide for the PC that shows what to do for the install.

Hope this helps
-denver
Dennis_27
Occasional Contributor

This is what I have currently installed on my PC one hard drive, CD Rom, CD-RW and a Floppy Drive.

I have another IDE cable ribbon but it doesn't seem to work (operating system not found)

I'm assuming its because I already have one drive attatched to that ribbon. I don't know. What are my options?
Walter Woodside
Advisor

Dennis, you need a 40 pin IDE cable with 3 plugs. One plug goes to the motherboard and the other 2 plugs connect to the hard drives. There are jumper posts located on the rear of the drives. The drive you connect to the end of the cable should be set up as the master (so set the jumper to the master). The drive you connect to the "middle" of the cable must be configured as the slave (so set the jumper to the slave position). You should have gotten some configure software with the drive (Maxtor uses Max-Blast for example). Once you hook everything up, make sure your BIOS detects the new drive. Since I don't know your BIOS or OS I can't really tell you much more. Good luck.