Feedback
1748019 Members
4449 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Display order of topics - newest response at the top? (ranking)

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Display order of topics - newest response at the top? (In a category)

Looks like this already was working here:

http://hpsws.lithium.com/t5/Forum-Feedback-and-Suggestions/Is-there-a-search-to-return-all-topics-that-have-new-posts/td-p/767

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Display order of topics - newest response at the top? (ranking)

>Looks like this already was working here:

Hmm, that URL is the same as this but with slight differences:  ??

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Forum-Feedback-and-Suggestions/Is-there-a-search-to-return-all-topics-that-have-new-posts/m-p/2396859/message-uid/2396859#U2396859

Something very strange there.  That forum actually has a ranking overview!

https://h10078.www1.hp.com/bto/download/ranking_July10.pdf

It mentions "number, and quality, of your posts".

Unfortunately it has 8 levels of the first type, 5 of the rest:

Advisor

Collector

Contributor

Super User

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Re: Display order of topics - newest response at the top?

@Torsten. wrote:

Kevin, I was on these pages:

[Broken link removed on 03-23-2017 by Admin]

but without an account and logging in.

As Dennis mentioned, that's a board - not a category.  Regardless, I'm still looking into if this is something we can have changed, as I (personally) agree that the "view all" functionality at a board level should be sorted by latest post, not by when the thread was started.

Kevin

I work for HPE.
swhcaldwell
Honored Contributor

Hi Dennis -

Regarding this URL:

https://h10078.www1.hp.com/bto/download/ranking_July10.pdf

Please disregard.  This will be going away soon.  This was from the legacy HP Software Solutions Community which also migrated into this new site.  There is a slightly new ranking ladder.

You can see the details of the raking ladders here:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Ranking-Overview/td-p/4828337

Thanks,

Heather

Opinions are mine alone and do not represent that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

I believe we have a solution for the original issue being asked about in this thread.

We currently have the "Recent Topics" module available on all category pages - this is where you can click on the "View All" link right below it and get to the listing of all threads within those topics.  But of course it's sorted in an unexpected way - because you're looking at a list of all *topics*, so it sorts it by when the *topic* was started (not by when the latest post *within* the topic was made).

What we can do is change that module to a "Recent Posts" module - so instead of a list of the five most recent topics within that category, you would see a list of the 5 most recent posts (which could have been made to the same topic, or multiple topics) - and then when you click on "View All" link, you'll be taken to a listing of all of the recent *posts* within the category, sorted by when each *post* was made - regardless of when the topic was started.

We *could* have both of these modules, but they are very similar, and having them both would use up additional vertical real estate on category pages - but I'm guessing from the input that the Recent Posts would be much more useful than Recent Topics.

Hoping to include this change in the first build next week (that would be Tuesday evening) - but feel free to let me know your thoughts in the meantime.

Thanks for everyone's patience... We're trying to make the community as useful for you as possible!

I work for HPE.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> We *could* have both of these modules, but they are very similar, and having them both would use up additional vertical real estate on category pages

>but feel free to let me know your thoughts in the meantime.

Simple fix.  Options, more stinkin' options.  ;-)

Allow this to be configurable and with number (0 to remove).  I'm not so much interested in the topic/post lists but in the "View All" button.

And similarly for the Solved posts module.

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

@Dennis Handly wrote:

Simple fix.  Options, more stinkin' options.  :smileywink:

I agree - options are nice - and I would argue that the new community already provides more personal options (via your profile) than the ITRC forums were capable of.

But to your specific point on this one - we are looking at making things within the community even *more* customizable, where a user can control exactly what they see/want on a page - but as they say "Rome wasn't built in a day" - so for some things along these lines, we're going to have to see what's feasible to do quickly vs. what needs to be included in the longer-term vision for the site.

Put another way - there are certain things we can change right now, in a matter of minutes (the max # of posts displayed within a thread before pagination, for example) - and in those cases, where the feedback makes sense to make a change - we're doing so.  And then there are "heavier lifting" scenarios - such as "make the site customizable for each user", where I can't click a few buttons and make it happen as quickly...

I work for HPE.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

The new 'view all' screen is ridiculous!

The top 10 items just now had 9 times the same message, once for each rapid-fire reply, and one other topic.

What good is that? See attached picture.

Are your developers clueless as to the usage of the systems?

I'm sure this has been observed by several folks earlier, but frankly I can't be bother to research and chime in in the right place.

btw... how does the old-itrc vs new-itrc message rate compare for the Operating systems area.

My guess is that we are down by 2/3. 

I guess that is a minor bullet on the management report on 'acceptable casualties for the move'

'Join in the conversation'   ... yeah right.

And when will that stinking picture finally be removed?

Or is that decision based on 'that picture pleases 95% of the interviewed management based on a mock-up screen shot, and will only p1ss-off  85% of the actual targeted users so that balances out in favor of keeping it.

grumble grumble grumble

Hein

Kevin_Paul
HPE Pro

Since it sounds like some people prefer a list of Recent Topics, and others need/want a list of Recent Posts, we'll make them both available on each category page. The change will take place tomorrow night, and be available on Friday morning.

The way the ITRC category listing worked in the past, where you could see all posts within that category, sorted just as a board is (based on the most recent reply within each topic) isn't a function currently available on the Lithium platform. I'll see if there's an opportunity to create something closer to it than the current Recent Topics and Recent Posts applets.

I work for HPE.
Chris H
Honored Contributor

>> The way the ITRC category listing worked in the past, where you could see all posts within that category,

>> sorted just as a board is (based on the most recent reply within each topic)

It seems to me, having read a number of the 'feedback' posts, that this option is just what many (ex-ITRC) users (including me) would find most useful.

I agree with Hein that the new view (where the same topic occurs multiple times) is both frustrating and fairly useless most of the time.