1748274 Members
4188 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Do not allow New Posts without Signing in FIRST

MitchT
Occasional Contributor

Do not allow New Posts without Signing in FIRST

I just wasted a lot of time in typing a post after I hit New Post and then hitting post only to find out I didn't login and my entire post was lost.

Set the forums to not allow people to hit New Post UNLESS THEY ARE LOGGED IN!

Also, if they are typing for a long time and they are going to get logged out, HAVE A WARNING POP-UP! Even though the forum does do background saves, it's still best to tell the user they are going to get disconnected instead of doing it and they don't even know. If other institutions can do it, HP can do it.

This is Basic Forum Management 101.

2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Do not allow New Posts without Signing in FIRST

Wow, that's unexpected!

I just tried using a REPLY button and that correctly forwarded you to the Sign in page.

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Re: Do not allow New Posts without Signing in FIRST

If you are not logged in and click "New Post," you will be redirected to the login page. If, however, your session was idle for over the time limit and you clicked "New Post," you would be allowed to write your post, but when you clicked the "Post" button, again you would be redirected to the signin page. Therefore, there should be no scenario where you would actually lose work you've done. If you've seen different behavior, please let us know.

I hope this is helpful,
Warren_Admin, HP Enterprise Community Manager
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and should not be interpreted as official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard

Thanks,
Warren_Admin