1752691 Members
5456 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Excessive whitespace, All Topics listing

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Excessive whitespace, All Topics listing

Please help the helpers by presenting the information more tightly, better aligned, with less whitespace.

Today's example is the 'All topics' listing.

Please have a professional UI  and graphics person review this together with a modestly heavy helper.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Move the Date in the Subject column to the Author Column, consistent with the "Latest Post column.

This will almost always gain a linewrap, gaining 20 pixels height.

It is bound to look better than a wrapped date

(Now we have a semi-fixed predictable part appear in a non-predictable location?! who's bright idea was that?)

2) If you feel you have to displays ribbons in the Author column, then put the UNDER the name.

This will allow you to make the Author column more narrow.

3) Redistribute column widths.

3.1) Subject 200, Author 220 (roughly). Seriously? should that not be Subject 300 - 400, Author 100 - 120?

3.2) kudo 70 --> make is 30 or 35, just as wide as the text

3.3) replies 80? --> 40! new 60?! --> 30 is plenty for a small number, narrow label

4) "All topics" sub header ??.... Drop, or put at same height as  the [1 2 3 ... 100 next ] selectors.

5) Latest posts ... drop the 'by', allowing longer names, and possibly allowing more narrow column.

6) Sneak text preview ? ... fill 2 columns completely instead of 1 column + 1 word. (coder not talking to graphics guy?)

7) If NOT under a specific OS, then please add the OS in front of the [Patches/Databases/Languages...]

Good luck!

Hein

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Excessive whitespace, All Topics listing

>7) If NOT under a specific OS, then please add the OS in front of the [Patches/Databases/Languages...]

I'm not sure why you would ever want to ask for all topics over multiple OSes?  The ITRC didn't provide that.

And for other categories, some of them have awfully long names.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>My favorite page design feature is the HTML <title> tag on an "All Topics" page.   Every browser icon on my desktop looks the same.

It appears they don't think (Feel free to add comment here.  ;-) that anyone would stay very long on those views nor have more than one of them?

>> Please have a professional UI and graphics person review this [...]

>I think we've seen what the professionals at HP can do.

This isn't really HP, this is Lithium (off the shelf?).  You should be glad it doesn't only come in black.  ;-)

But what other suggested adjective should we use, successful, expert, etc.?

Peter Marko
Honored Contributor

This is probably the best topic to post this screenshot ... (fyi FF5 on Linux)

What the hell are you doing out there?